Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temp control post-primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
dickproenneke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Temp control post-primary

Just wondering how important it is to maintain ideal and consistent temps AFTER the first 5-7 days of fermentation. I know it's probably not cool to let it freeze or boil, but what about an 6-8 degree temperature swing?

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Bheher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A fermentation could easily last 7-10 days. You should hold your beer at the fermentation temp for at least 10 days. If you let the temp fall 6-8 degrees when the yeast still has a bit more fermenting to do then the yeast will go dormant and your beer might finish a little high in gravity.

That said, after fermentation is done, I would try and error on the cold side if possible. I wouldn't want a beer stored at over 75 degrees. But anything in the range of 32-75 is fine.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I always try to keep my carboys/buckets at 65 degrees. When active fermentation takes place in the first few days I've seen the temp jump up to almost 75 degrees all on its own. Even in the winter. So it also depends on the yeast as well. After the initial temp spike and fermentation slows... 65 degrees for me.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 12-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Great advice. I try to pitch at 60F, knowing that during active fermentation the temp will rise 5-7 degrees. But once fermentation teeters off after a few days I have to use heating pads to maintain those temps. I usually try to maintain the temp for 14 days. Then I'll let it sit without temp control for another 2 weeks or so.

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 12-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

In all reality, once the beer is at confirmed FG there is really no need for temp control any longer IMO/IME Could be anywhere from 3-10 days depending on the beer, yeast and use of best practice fermentation.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman
In all reality, once the beer is at confirmed FG there is really no need for temp control any longer IMO/IME Could be anywhere from 3-10 days depending on the beer, yeast and use of best practice fermentation.
Thanks dubo - This is exactly what I wanted to know! So as long as gravity is stable then there's no need for precise temp control while the beer is conditioning in the primary.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Correct

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply