Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temp Control Importance??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #21
kajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

100w is plenty for that much water. Also powerhead from the petshop might be a good idea to move the water around and keep the temp consistent everywhere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #22
jescholler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't recall the size of my larger one (the one in the back in my picture). It's covered with a blanket right now and the blanket is held on with binder clips. It takes about 6 5-gallon buckets to fill up, so it's about 30 gallons. It fits 2 carboys comfortably.

The Jager website tells you how many gallons of water the heater will keep warm. I think they assume your room temp is 70 degrees and you are heating to 90 or so. I oversized my heaters a bit because I didn't want them to be underpowered. It's not a big deal if they're overpowered though. They tend to be long, so make sure that your storage container is tall enough for the heater you buy. About 90% of the heater needs to be submerged. The 150W heater is 13" tall and is good for 30-45 gallons (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ize=150%20watt).

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-01-2009, 04:10 AM   #23
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The water bath seems to work well for cooling. I used one all last summer and rotated frozen water bottles into it to lower temp. The lightbulb and insulated box should work but could create fire hazard issues. Another option is to use yeasts to match your environment. For example, if your garage is in the lager range, brew lagers. Some strains of ale yeast can tolerate greater ranges of temperature (such as safale 04 and 05) but still do not like temp fluctuations.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #24
kb2kir
Recipes 

hbhudy,
I agree with the post below...
I purchased a Penn digital temperature controller and a cheep (115.00) freezer from Lowes. I do a batch every month.
I pretty much stick to the same recipe and have noticed a more uniform taste
between batches.
In the beginning, without the precise control, I managed to make batch of smoke flavored light lager YUK...
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
temp control is the #1 thing you can do to improve your beers, in my opinion (and many others). flavors and aromas put off by the yeast change radically with a few degrees deviation. you'll definitely want to work on your temp control.

Quick Reply