Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > temp control help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
drewN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default temp control help.

I swear its like ive asked to many questions in the past week. Hopefully im not annoying with the questions. But i have another one.

Bought this temp control (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...ontroller.html)

however my chest freezer is already at around 40-50F so it's a little to cold for what im brewing according to the instructions. I also have a cold cellar in my basement, would i just hook up my temp control to a lightbulb in the freezer to heat it up when needed or a area heater in the cellar (perhaps when i have several fermentations)?

Thanks in advanced

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Double-R
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tape the "probe" to the carboy/bucket to with some foam. You want the temp of the wort not the air.
Then set the Temp control to the temp range of the yeast your using.
So, if you want to ferment at 65F.. set it there. and it will stop cooling.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The way those temp controllers will work is that when it gets near the top of that temperature range, it'll turn the freezer on. When it cools off to go near the bottom of that range, it'll turn the freezer off, allowing it to warm back up naturally, until it gets too warm, and the whole cycle starts over.

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
drewN
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
The way those temp controllers will work is that when it gets near the top of that temperature range, it'll turn the freezer on. When it cools off to go near the bottom of that range, it'll turn the freezer off, allowing it to warm back up naturally, until it gets too warm, and the whole cycle starts over.
Ya but the freezer is already to cold, so do i have to have a bulb or heater in the on 24/7? there must be a more efficient way of doing this

Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
gromitdj
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is the problem I had over the weekend. I put a string of C9 Christmas lights with all but one bulb removed in refrigerator drawer. It puts off just enough heat that the compressor and the heat source aren't competing with each other too hard. In other words the cycling is kept to a very reasonable rate.

Donnie

Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
drewN
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitdj View Post
This is the problem I had over the weekend. I put a string of C9 Christmas lights with all but one bulb removed in refrigerator drawer. It puts off just enough heat that the compressor and the heat source aren't competing with each other too hard. In other words the cycling is kept to a very reasonable rate.
thank you! ill be testing out bulb sizes

Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewN View Post
Ya but the freezer is already to cold, so do i have to have a bulb or heater in the on 24/7? there must be a more efficient way of doing this
I think you are missing the point, the controller will shut your freezer off, and only turn it on when and only for how long, it takes to cool your beer.
Unless your freezer stays too cold with it unplugged this will work.
Ie... if your freezer is outside in winter you will need heat but otherwise not.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1125 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 544

The controller controls the power to the freezer. They switch on and off the plug that they plug into. This will keep the freezer from getting too cold. Additionally if you have a 2 stage controller, you could include a heat source (light bulb, fermbelt, etc) on the other side to keep it from getting too cold if the freezer is in a colder than desired area.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
I think you are missing the point, the controller will shut your freezer off, and only turn it on when and only for how long, it takes to cool your beer.
Ie... if your freezer is outside in winter you will need heat but otherwise not.
I understand what the OP is saying, its basically that its already to cold to do the beer he wants too..

Dont fiddle with lights, if you need to warm it up just give it time..open the lid and blow the cold air out of the bottom with a fan and give it 4 hours for the walls to warm up.

Then plug it into your temp controller, and it will pull it down to the 60-65F or whatever you have it set to for fermentation.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
I understand what the OP is saying, its basically that its already to cold to do the beer he wants too..

Dont fiddle with lights, if you need to warm it up just give it time..open the lid and blow the cold air out of the bottom with a fan and give it 4 hours for the walls to warm up. Or just unplug it and open the lid up and leave it open for a while.

Then plug it into your temp controller, and it will pull it down to the 60-65F or whatever you have it set to for fermentation.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Quick Reply