Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temp. allowance of fermenting buckets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
buffaloipa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Temp. allowance of fermenting buckets

I've started all grain brewing and have a question. I've been collecting my wort directly into my boil kettle, all the while measuring in 1/2 gallon increments with a 2 quart measuring cup. My 32 quart kettle doesn't have marking for volume. I'd like to just collect my wort in a fermenting bucket but am worried about the temp. allowance of the buckets and am wondering if anyone's tried it. The measuring cup method is annoying as I always lose count of 1/2 gallong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is your kettle straight-sided? If so, you can do the math and just measure the depth of wort in the kettle to calculate its volume. Sanitize a metal ruler and dunk it right in the kettle, all the way to the bottom.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloipa View Post
I've started all grain brewing and have a question. I've been collecting my wort directly into my boil kettle, all the while measuring in 1/2 gallon increments with a 2 quart measuring cup. My 32 quart kettle doesn't have marking for volume. I'd like to just collect my wort in a fermenting bucket but am worried about the temp. allowance of the buckets and am wondering if anyone's tried it. The measuring cup method is annoying as I always lose count of 1/2 gallong.

I collect my runnings in a HD Homer bucket, orange of course. Let the haters hate. I've marked on the outside 1 gal, 1.5 gal, 2 gal, etc...up to 5 gallon.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaquince
Is your kettle straight-sided? If so, you can do the math and just measure the depth of wort in the kettle to calculate its volume. Sanitize a metal ruler and dunk it right in the kettle, all the way to the bottom.
You really don't need to sanitize it. You will be boiling it anyway.

My ghetto rig currently I have been collecting first runnings in a 3 gallon kettle. After I heat up sparge water I collect everything in my larger kettle. I have used the HD bucket too. There is a lot of paranoia about those buckets but I have fermented in them and the beer turns out great. That's a personal decision tho.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
JRL
Recipes 

I use a racking cane as a dip stick to measure my wort collected. marked on the side with a sharpie. Gets me really close, maybe not perfect but works for me.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

+1 on measuring the inner diameter (if it's pretty straight-sided) and using a ruler to measure. Simple math gives the volume per vertical rise.

I bought a 36" SS rule on ebay for like $10.

Quick Reply