Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tell me if I was right or wrong in saying this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
RAZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tell me if I was right or wrong in saying this?

Hello Gents, here's my situation. My buddy and I made our first batch Wednesday night. Everything went well and got it in the Primary. OG was 1.055. Fermentation was slow to start and my buddy was worried. I told him to give it another day and we'll see. Of course it took off without a hitch. Now 24 hours later it seems to have stopped, now he's worried again. I told him we'll wait until Monday evening and if it still isn't bubbling we'll take a hydrometer reading and see what it says. Am I correct in saying this and being patient. I don't think it would hurt for it to sit in the primary for a little while longer. Has anyone else had lag fermenting times in the primary.

Thanks,
RAZ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
BrewJr

Recipes 

well all i can say is that i'm pretty new at this, and i have done three batches, and it seems that i have some sort of issue with everyone i do!! nothing bad, its just that i get all impatient with no activity!! but i've learned that if you just relax everything will be fine! my novice advise would be to take a gravity reading today and wait till tomarrow and take another one to see if the fermentation is surely done.

Primary-Hibiscus porter
Secondary-Empty
Bottled-RedHook IPA, ONO Hefeweizen, Germen Pils, BlueBerry Ale, Hawaiiian Summer Ale, Honey Wheat, Hibiscus Wheat, Wheat Bock
Drinking-Longhammer IPA, Dead Guy Ale

Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

There are a few people who have perfect ferments every time, but they don't post here. The rest of us accept slow starts, blowouts, mysterious floaties and spontaneous re-starts of the process. You have a plan and it's a good one.

Your buddy needs to do a bit of reading and learn the art of waiting for it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've read about people getting complete fermentation in a couple of days. Mine always take 10 - 14 days. I don't think it will hurt anything by letting it wait, especially since you have had at least some fermentation take place. If you haddn't had any bubbling, I would have more concerns about potential infection and would recommend pitching new yeast right away.

Stick with your plan. Wait until Monday. If it doesn't start back up, take a gravity reading. If its too high, you may have a stuck fermentation and may want to stir it gently (enough to mix it back up but not entrain air and oxidize it) and/or pitch new yeast.

If you have reached your final gravity then you just had a really active and quick fermentation and you're ready to rack.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 03-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Like the Elder God of Homebrew (Charley Papazian) said, RDWHAHB. It's difficult, but it is the one most important thing a newbie has to learn.

Relax. Don't Worry. Have A Home Brew.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
...Your buddy needs to do a bit of reading and learn the art of waiting for it.
I like that. Well said!
Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
RAZ
Recipes 

I am using a pail. I believe I will be buying a couple of glass primaries. They aren't that expensive. I'm pretty sure I have as good as a seal that the pail will allow. I don't think I could trust a piece of plastic to seal as good as rubber. Plus there is more surface area to cover on the pails versus a small hole on the carboys. I take a reading on Monday and let you guys know how it goes. If you need more info on what I have to give you a better idea, let me know. Thanks guys.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
MariaAZ

Recipes 

I've only brewed three batches, but each time waited one week before opening the fermenter (I use plastic buckets) to take gravity readings. All three batches turned out fine.

Primary - none
Secondary - none
Bottled - APA, robust porter, hefeweizen

Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
Gedvondur

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Seals and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZ
I am using a pail. I believe I will be buying a couple of glass primaries. They aren't that expensive. I'm pretty sure I have as good as a seal that the pail will allow. I don't think I could trust a piece of plastic to seal as good as rubber. Plus there is more surface area to cover on the pails versus a small hole on the carboys.
The pails have a pretty good seal, the one I got (7.5 gallon) from Northern Brewing had a rubber gasket. I can't remember if our smaller fermenter (6.5 gallon) has a rubber seal or not.

I would suggest getting a nylon brew hauler if you are going to deal with moving glass carboys or use a better bottle and a carboy handle. I have found the carboys to be awkward to carry, especially if there is any moisture on your hands or the bottle.

We (knock on wood) haven't had any issues with the fermentation, other than some slow starts. They generally complete in 7-14 days. I think that the patience is the best course.

These are all just observations from our paltry two months of brewing.

Gedvondur

Natural 20 Brewery

Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Porter fan
Recipes 

www.howtobrew.com Tell your buddy do some reading and you wiil find each bach gets better and better. Its a crap shoot too just jump in and start brewing .

Quick Reply