Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tell me how this equipment kit looks, and if I need anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
ochocki
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tell me how this equipment kit looks, and if I need anything else.

The kit comes from homebrewheaven.com, I can't seem to link the page but you can go to there main site, click beer brewing, click brewing equipmnet kits, it's the deluxe kit. This is what it includes for those who don't want to go there.

Includes 6-Gallon Primary Fermentor, 5-Gallon Glass Carboy, 2 Airlocks with Stoppers, 4-ft Siphon Hose, Racking Cane and Clip, Bottle Filler, BENCH Capper, Caps, Wort Chiller (your choice of indoor or outdoor model), Sanitizer, Cleaner, Thermometer,Hydrometer with Test Jar, Carboy Brush, Bottle Brush, Instructional Book & Video.

It cost's $168.00 but seems to include everything but the bottles and ingredients. Is this a good buy, is the website reputable?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you can afford it, go for it. I spent about 1/2 of that on my kit. But I didn't get a carboy, chiller or a bench capper. I bought my carboy separately later for around 20 bucks. A wing capper works fine, but a bench is better. It all depends on how much you are willing to invest.

loop

Old 10-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
MriswitH
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would try and get an autosiphon instead, just my opinion, but it should work fine without it albeit a bit more work. In general though, that seems like a good batch of gear for the price.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's not bad. By the time I was done peace mealing all those "other" things I needed, it probably came out to more than that. 4 foot hose is cutting it pretty close IMO, but will work. It's just that you'll have have them really close to one another. Good call on getting a wort chiller for your first time, you'll definently be glad you did. Putting the wort in a ice bath and waiting really is a PITA and take a LONG time. Bottles should run you about 12-14 per case if you have a LHBS near-by and a brew package shouldn't cost more than 28 bucks. I'd recommend the Brewer's Best kits. They have the steeping grains, muslim disposable sack and bottle caps along with everything else you need. They also use DME out of the bag.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
ultraplop
Recipes 

I don't understand it when companies skimp on the cheap stuff, but anyways, tubing is only like 50 cents a foot. So if four feet isn't enough, it doesn't cost alot to get more.

I also recommend the auto-siphon, you don't really need it, but its cheap, makes it easier, and can also be used as a wine thief.

The chiller and bench capper arn't really necessary and if you used a regular wing capper and cooled your wort in the sink, you could knock about 40-50 bucks off that price.

I might also recommend a funnel with a screen or a strainer that fits your fermenter. Depends on how you want to transfer the cooled wort to the fermenter. You could siphon or use the whirl pool method or what not, but using a strainer and dumping it in has the added benefit of aerating the wort.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraplop

The chiller and bench capper arn't really necessary and if you used a regular wing capper and cooled your wort in the sink, you could knock about 40-50 bucks off that price.
GET THE CHILLER!!! It's worth every penny. If you don't get it now I guarantee you will later.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

second the chiller... if/when you move to larger batches or full six plus gallons boil, you'll need one.

also, if you're gonna bottle, get the bench capper.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
ochocki
Recipes 

So can I just get more siphon hose from any hardware store or does it need to be a certain material? Also where can I get an auto-siphon?

Old 10-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #9
ultraplop
Recipes 

I used a 10 dollar wing capper and was given a bench capper recently, but to be honest I don't find any difference in ease of use. Although there is a certain bottle that I have that the bench capper can cap that my wing capper can't and thats those really cool hobgoblin ale bottles. The wing capper can't get a grip on the side of the bottle because of the odd shape.

As far as thewort chiller goes, maybe its a lot more helpful for a full 5 or 6 gallon+ boil, but if you are doing extract and only boiling 2-3 gallons then the sink works pretty well. What I do is fill the sink with cold water, put a dishtowel over the open drain and set the hot pot on it. The towel allows the water to drain out slowly so that I can keep the faucet on to constantly circulate cold water around it. I put a small amount of ice in there too and it cools about as fast as a wort chiller would (about 10 minutes for 2 gallons).

Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 AM   #10
ultraplop
Recipes 

You could probably get the tubing at a hardware store, but you will probably have hard time finding an autosiphon at any place other than a homebrew shop. Of course if you go to a homebrew shop or order online you can get the tubing at the same time and kill both birds with one stone.

Quick Reply