Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tasting during fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Germ79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tasting during fermentation

Ok, first-timer question here.

My lovely wife got me a Coopers DIY kit for Christmas and I began the lager that came with the kit Monday. It's looking great so far and my understanding is that I shouldn't be testing the SG again until day 6, but when I do, am I able to taste it? I wasn't sure when it was safe to try.

In a separate note, am I correct that if I begin testing the SG daily on day 6, once it is the same 2 days in a row, it's time to bottle?

Thanks so much for your help!

J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think 6 days is way too soon, however it will not harm you at all.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The beer is safe to taste at any point in fermentation; I actually recommend for beginners to take more samples than they really should, so you both learn how the fermentation goes (speed of gravity change) as well as the taste. You can learn what a beer is going to taste like in its future by tasting it early on, like chili before it has cooked down for hours.

So yes, it is safe to taste, but early on it might not taste like much, but rough and sweet.

Technically once you get the same reading 2 days in a row (I would suggest testing, skipping a day, then testing again, as a small change might not be noticeable in 24 hours), but it is suggested to give the beer 2 weeks MINIMUM in the fermenter, recommended 3 weeks. Even if fermentation is done, this lets the brew condition and clean up; flavors meld together, and the proteins and yeast drop out to give you a clearer beer.

Summary:
Taste it, learn it.
Give it a couple weeks to ferment and condition.
Bottle, give it a few weeks to carbonate and condition.
Brew again!

Oh, and welcome to the hobby and the forums! Ask any questions you have, and glad to see that you have the one tool that answers 90% of beginner questions (and 50% of intermediate questions); the hydrometer.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Whenever you draw off a sample to check gravity (Do NOT place the hydrometer in your wort, draw off a sample with a wine thief or turkey baster) - you're "supposed" to taste the sample after checking the numbers...

never return the sample to the fermenter.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Germ79
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll shoot to leave it in there for 2-3 weeks.

Tasting the samples sounds like a good idea! If I do that, do I have to make sure the beer is clear of debris? I've noticed the tap now has "gunk" in it, so do I have to clear that out first (draw a sample and dump it before taking a sample to measure and taste)?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
NadoHawk
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Just remember to keep everything sanitary. If you overcheck and don't keep to sanitation procedures, you may introduce bacteria into your brew.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
bheag
Recipes 

I got the Mr beer kit for christmas and asked for the midwest 5 gallon. So I am a bit skeptical. This is my first time, but love good beer and wont drink a domestic crap beer. Kind of a beer snob and never looked into home brew until a few months ago.
So I started my first batch of standard octoberfest and added a cup of honey for abv boost. I just poured a shot after one week of fermenting and i literally coughed it was so bad. It was extremely yeasty and foggy. I like my beers foggy, but that was undrinkable. Is that just because it needs another week in the mr beer keg, and it is normal for it to be that yeasty and disgusting after a week. It has been in a closet around 69 degrees. Also used brita water instead of spring water. Thoughts....

Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ79 View Post

Tasting the samples sounds like a good idea! If I do that, do I have to make sure the beer is clear of debris? I've noticed the tap now has "gunk" in it, so do I have to clear that out first (draw a sample and dump it before taking a sample to measure and taste)?

Thanks!
I've eaten hop pellets. I've eaten grains. I've taken a taste of malt extract. I've chugged the yeast that end up at the bottom of the bottle. And I've certainly drank plenty of water. Therefore, I have consumed every single thing that goes into a batch of beer, and am no worse for wear. None of the "gunk" is going to hurt you.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
bengerman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

too much yeast will give you gas, but it's just part of the hobby

Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #10
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ79 View Post

Thanks!
Don't touch the tap. Don't use a measuring cup either. Get a wine thief or use a turkey baster that has been sanitized. Stick it in from the top of the bucket.

Quick Reply