New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > tastes the same.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
99expo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default tastes the same.....

just tryed a little sample of my pumpkin ale and it tastes the same as my oktoberfest(Ale)....just kinda tastes fruity with just a little hint of beer. neither beer had alot of foam at the top when in carboy. just bottled the oktoberfest saturday and brewed the pumpkin sunday.
any thoughts....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your going to have to give up some details here. Can you post your recipe and procedures. We can probably help with more info.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 AM   #3
99expo
Recipes 

lost the recipe for the oktoberfest but i got it here http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer-kits-lagers.shtml
the pumpkin was
steep grains at 155 for 10-30 min
pull pot off add 6 pounds LME then brown sugar
bring a boil and add 1 oz Mt Hood hops
steep one can pumpkin for 10 min
add 1 oz cascade hops and spices of last 2 min

then i cooled in a sink full of ice and poured into carboy and add dry yeast

the carboy was a little on the high 76-78 but it did ferment very fast

hope that helps you help me

Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
teu1003
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm not an expert by any means but i have suffered through some rather "fruity" estery beers when the ferment temp was too high (i'm talking 72 not 78). I made a wheat that fermented at 70 and it gives a new meaning to the word "banana". When I brew with ANY yeast I am not familiar with, I read the mfr website for the proper ferment temp range and try to keep it on the cooler side.

Also ... did you use cascade hops for both beers at the end? although i like cascade, i find the "grapefruity" a little much sometimes and have stopped dry-hopping with it, or using it too late in the boil. I think it overpowers what else there is in the beer and since that "nose" is the first impression you get when you pop that top, thats going to cloud your overall impression of the beer.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:31 AM   #5
gauthierk
Recipes 

Alot of times the flavor's like the pumpkin do not come out until the yeast is finished doing it stuff and it condition's for a little while.... I did an american pilsner a few months ago and it was almost pitched when I transferred to the secondary because I thought it was bad... After 3 weeks in the conditioner it was AWSOME!!!!!! Don't judge it until it conditions...

Quick Reply