Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tasted Beer 5 Days After Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
Chuckrox8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tasted Beer 5 Days After Bottling

The usual time to wait to taste is three weeks I guess. I couldn't wait and tried my brew today only 5 days after bottling. It didn't taste very good. I was brewing a Fat Tire Clone and it tasted a little like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Will the taste change as the beer ages in the next 2 1/2 weeks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Was it the AHS kit?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Did it actually taste bad, or not what you were expecting?

It will change in taste over the next few weeks, and even beyond. I have beer that a few months old that tastes a bit different than it did at three weeks. Depends on alot of things but the taste will develop.

Some beers taste great out of the bottle at five days, some not.

Even if it doesn't turn out exactly like the Fat Tire Clone, it still might end up being a good beer.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckrox8
The usual time to wait to taste is three weeks I guess. I couldn't wait and tried my brew today only 5 days after bottling. It didn't taste very good. I was brewing a Fat Tire Clone and it tasted a little like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Will the taste change as the beer ages in the next 2 1/2 weeks?
This could be bad if you don't like SNPA but otherwise, it's not a bad mark to hit. Clone brewing, I've heard (never felt the urge to try it), is at best an inexact art. I think the folks at Sierra Nevada would feel pretty low if they knew you thought their flagship brew "didn't taste very good."

Old 02-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Hardball
Recipes 

As the great Axl Rose once said....

..."all u need is patience"

Secondary: Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Commercial
RIP:English Special Bitter, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, IPA, American Wheat w/Raspberry Puree, Oatmeal Stout, Summit IPA

Old 02-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Whelk
Recipes 

Your beer should taste very different after additional weeks (or months) have gone by.

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckrox8
There's a reason we say to wait three weeks, and it's not (only) for carbonation. I've said this a million times, but it bears repeating: you'll never understand how much beer changes over time until you taste it for yourself. Drinking one early was actually an excellent idea. Have another one in a week, and then every week from here until it's ready. The bottom line is that if you have the patience to wait it out before you start drinking it regularly, you'll be glad you did.
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hah. I had one at week 1. Almost completely flat! I had one at week 2. Better, but I was disappointed. This weekend is week 3. My first brew will be READY on sunday. I'm looking forward to trying it. I hope that everyone is right

Old 02-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
Chuckrox8
Recipes 

Yes, it was the AHS clone kit. I should have gone a little more into detail. It tasted like a really flat and bad SNPA. SNPA is a great beer and I like it a lot. I won't be disappointed if it ends up tasting like a good pale ale. I won't have to pay $14 for a 12 pack. I'll post a follow up when I try my brew again in 2 weeks. 15 Days. Hope it turns out well. It sure did smell damn good going into the bottles.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
Chuckrox8
Recipes 

Wow I'm replying to a really old post of mine but I have had no time to brew in the last year. The Fat Tire Clone Kit from AHS actually turned out quite well. The Sierra Nevada taste left the beer. While the beer didn't end up tasting exactly like Fat Tire I actually enjoyed much more! Amazing thing about home brew eh. The beer actually tasted exactly like a North Coast Red Seal Ale that I had this summer. I remember not buying the premium white labs yeast but instead going for the cheaper yeast. I assume that had a lot to do with the end product. I definitely recommend the kit though.

Quick Reply