Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > tasted 1st batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
gonpce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default tasted 1st batch

My son and I bottled our first batch last Sunday and couldn't wait any longer (he had to return to college) so last night put one in the fridge and tasted this afternoon. I understand it needs to age but we couldn't wait. It is an Irish Stout Extract kit. The taste was a little off. How long does it usuallly take to mellow out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It depends on the recipe, I've aged stouts for 6 months and been pretty pleased. I would say age at least 4 weeks after bottling and then chill for at least 3 or 4 days before trying.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

How long was it in the primary, and if you put it in a secondary how long was it in there?

Most of the time I leave my beer in the primary for AT LEAST 2 weeks more like 3. Then move it over to a secondary for 2 weeks or so, then I keg it and its ready a week after kegging.

I would say that after about 2-3 weeks in bottles it will be better.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
stdywell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did an Irish stout extract with my son as well. (brewers best). Left it in the primary for 3 weeks then bottled. After a week it was a tad bitter. After two it was better. I doubt I'll be able to leave it for months, but def a couple more weeks.
This was our first brew also! Patience is the hardest, so I picked up another bucket and brewed some more ! Have 25 gallons in various stages of bottling and fermentation. Hahahahahahahaha ! Bring on summer

image-4170090061.jpg  

Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Time and patience. Green beer is just nt the same as finished beer - especially for bigger/darker beers.

My Yorkshire brown ale was quote good after three weeks in bottles, but did have a bit of an odd aftertaste. Several weeks later, it was defintiely better.

At four months in bottles, it is absolutely in the discussion for the best brown ale I've ever had - odd aftertaste is long gone.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My last batch was a stout, and after three weeks in primary and a week in the bottle it was barely drinkable. It wasn't really until three weeks in the bottle that it really smoothed out. Now ten weeks later, its outstanding.

Quick Reply