Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The taste of Failure...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Joe13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default The taste of Failure...

Well it happened finally.

I just broke into my last 4 batches of Mr. Beer brews. 4 two gallon full recipes.

Chauffer Red Ale
Blonde Bombshell
Bengal Tiger IPA
Cinco De Mayo cervesa

They are all ruined. Each one has a bitter, slightly alcoholish off-flavor that is exactly the same. and that is after three weeks fermenting, two weeks warm condition and 8 days in the fridge.

I think I have found the problem though. into the third week of their fermenter time, the beer so temps from 95-100 degrees for three days. I am guessing this is what caused the issue I am running into now. Im kinda sad to be dumping them, as the clarity and head retention on them are good. I will be investing in a fridge to control fermentation before I brew another batch. Any tips or tricks are appreciated or if you can confirm the heat was the issue I would appreciate it!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What are the ferm temps at the beginning of fermentation. That I believe is the more critical time for temp control.

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

You've found exactly the issue. Once you get your temperatures under control, your beer will be better than 90% of homebrewers. It doesn't need to be as expensive as a fridge (though there are cheap ones on craigslist), though. If your humidity is low, you can wrap your fermentor in a wet towel and point a fan at it- re-wetting as it starts to dry. If not, you can get a big rope-tote bucket (muck-bucket in some places), put your fermentor in there, fill it with water and drop frozen water bottles in it to maintain a constant temperatures. You always need to have a few 2Liters frozen though.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Joe13

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
What are the ferm temps at the beginning of fermentation. That I believe is the more critical time for temp control.
It was around 70-72 for the first two weeks. similar to the temps of my last 8 gallon run which came out awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
You've found exactly the issue. Once you get your temperatures under control, your beer will be better than 90% of homebrewers. It doesn't need to be as expensive as a fridge (though there are cheap ones on craigslist), though. If your humidity is low, you can wrap your fermentor in a wet towel and point a fan at it- re-wetting as it starts to dry. If not, you can get a big rope-tote bucket (muck-bucket in some places), put your fermentor in there, fill it with water and drop frozen water bottles in it to maintain a constant temperatures. You always need to have a few 2Liters frozen though.
yea I am trying to find a cheap used fridge that ill throw a controller on. That way it becomes relativly self-sufficient. I figure if I can find a small mini fridge i can take the door off and make a little insulate room that it feeds.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm not saying it's salvageable, but at least read this before you dump it all:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Joe13

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
I'm not saying it's salvageable, but at least read this before you dump it all:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/
That is a good read. I will leave them be for now. IDK if it matters, but they are in the fridge. I won't dump them until I absolutely need the bottles, and I wont be brewing until I can pick up stuff to make a decent fermentation chamber. So we shall see how it comes out in a couple more weeks. My hopes aren't high, but who knows.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1154 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

My first batch (also Mr Beer) was fermented too hot and had some bad off flavors but were much better after a few months. Come back to these in a few months and they should be much better or you can cook with them. The LBK fits nicely in a cooler where you can swap out frozen water bottles to lower temps. I did this after my first batch and kept the temps around 65f in the LBK and things came out great from then on. I know do 5 gal AG batches and use a rubbermaid bucket half full of water with frozen 2 liter bottles, but my little Mr Beer keg is still used for apfelwein and other high powered things I don't need 5 gallons of.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Joe13

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So i had a friend over yesterday to give them a try and confirm/debunk my findings. We have found that the Blonde is by far the worse, the cinco de mayo has the least taste, the Red is the best with only a small bitter taste to it, and the IPA in undrinkable . That stinks since I really like IPAs. So my hunt is on for a cheap fridge/freezer, and the rest of the beers will continue to chill and be tasted at regular intervals in order to determine if the flavor goes away or not.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe13 View Post
So i had a friend over yesterday to give them a try and confirm/debunk my findings. We have found that the Blonde is by far the worse, the cinco de mayo has the least taste, the Red is the best with only a small bitter taste to it, and the IPA in undrinkable . That stinks since I really like IPAs. So my hunt is on for a cheap fridge/freezer, and the rest of the beers will continue to chill and be tasted at regular intervals in order to determine if the flavor goes away or not.
I wouldn't expect much change in taste if you keep them cold - I'd keep them at room temperature, about 70 ºF, if possible. Keeping them cold just slows down any changes and preserves the beer as it is.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Fermentation temperatures ARE important- but if they were in the low 70s during fermentation, the beer shouldn't be that bad.

I'm wondering about water- is it possible that you used tap water with chlorine or chloramines?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 

Quick Reply