Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The taste of Failure...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Joe13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default The taste of Failure...

Well it happened finally.

I just broke into my last 4 batches of Mr. Beer brews. 4 two gallon full recipes.

Chauffer Red Ale
Blonde Bombshell
Bengal Tiger IPA
Cinco De Mayo cervesa

They are all ruined. Each one has a bitter, slightly alcoholish off-flavor that is exactly the same. and that is after three weeks fermenting, two weeks warm condition and 8 days in the fridge.

I think I have found the problem though. into the third week of their fermenter time, the beer so temps from 95-100 degrees for three days. I am guessing this is what caused the issue I am running into now. Im kinda sad to be dumping them, as the clarity and head retention on them are good. I will be investing in a fridge to control fermentation before I brew another batch. Any tips or tricks are appreciated or if you can confirm the heat was the issue I would appreciate it!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What are the ferm temps at the beginning of fermentation. That I believe is the more critical time for temp control.

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

You've found exactly the issue. Once you get your temperatures under control, your beer will be better than 90% of homebrewers. It doesn't need to be as expensive as a fridge (though there are cheap ones on craigslist), though. If your humidity is low, you can wrap your fermentor in a wet towel and point a fan at it- re-wetting as it starts to dry. If not, you can get a big rope-tote bucket (muck-bucket in some places), put your fermentor in there, fill it with water and drop frozen water bottles in it to maintain a constant temperatures. You always need to have a few 2Liters frozen though.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
Joe13

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
What are the ferm temps at the beginning of fermentation. That I believe is the more critical time for temp control.
It was around 70-72 for the first two weeks. similar to the temps of my last 8 gallon run which came out awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
You've found exactly the issue. Once you get your temperatures under control, your beer will be better than 90% of homebrewers. It doesn't need to be as expensive as a fridge (though there are cheap ones on craigslist), though. If your humidity is low, you can wrap your fermentor in a wet towel and point a fan at it- re-wetting as it starts to dry. If not, you can get a big rope-tote bucket (muck-bucket in some places), put your fermentor in there, fill it with water and drop frozen water bottles in it to maintain a constant temperatures. You always need to have a few 2Liters frozen though.
yea I am trying to find a cheap used fridge that ill throw a controller on. That way it becomes relativly self-sufficient. I figure if I can find a small mini fridge i can take the door off and make a little insulate room that it feeds.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm not saying it's salvageable, but at least read this before you dump it all:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/never-dump-your-beer-patience-virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Joe13

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
I'm not saying it's salvageable, but at least read this before you dump it all:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/never-dump-your-beer-patience-virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/
That is a good read. I will leave them be for now. IDK if it matters, but they are in the fridge. I won't dump them until I absolutely need the bottles, and I wont be brewing until I can pick up stuff to make a decent fermentation chamber. So we shall see how it comes out in a couple more weeks. My hopes aren't high, but who knows.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

My first batch (also Mr Beer) was fermented too hot and had some bad off flavors but were much better after a few months. Come back to these in a few months and they should be much better or you can cook with them. The LBK fits nicely in a cooler where you can swap out frozen water bottles to lower temps. I did this after my first batch and kept the temps around 65f in the LBK and things came out great from then on. I know do 5 gal AG batches and use a rubbermaid bucket half full of water with frozen 2 liter bottles, but my little Mr Beer keg is still used for apfelwein and other high powered things I don't need 5 gallons of.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 07-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Joe13

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So i had a friend over yesterday to give them a try and confirm/debunk my findings. We have found that the Blonde is by far the worse, the cinco de mayo has the least taste, the Red is the best with only a small bitter taste to it, and the IPA in undrinkable . That stinks since I really like IPAs. So my hunt is on for a cheap fridge/freezer, and the rest of the beers will continue to chill and be tasted at regular intervals in order to determine if the flavor goes away or not.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe13 View Post
So i had a friend over yesterday to give them a try and confirm/debunk my findings. We have found that the Blonde is by far the worse, the cinco de mayo has the least taste, the Red is the best with only a small bitter taste to it, and the IPA in undrinkable . That stinks since I really like IPAs. So my hunt is on for a cheap fridge/freezer, and the rest of the beers will continue to chill and be tasted at regular intervals in order to determine if the flavor goes away or not.
I wouldn't expect much change in taste if you keep them cold - I'd keep them at room temperature, about 70 ºF, if possible. Keeping them cold just slows down any changes and preserves the beer as it is.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Fermentation temperatures ARE important- but if they were in the low 70s during fermentation, the beer shouldn't be that bad.

I'm wondering about water- is it possible that you used tap water with chlorine or chloramines?

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 

Quick Reply