The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Taste of Beer Before Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
husker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for all the help! Is 3 weeks total in the fermenter before I bottle enough time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
cigarmitch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The ole newbie jitters... I must be a saint when it comes to brewing beer... I haven't jacked with my first batch fermenter since I put it in there on brewing day 2.5 weeks ago! The Rye Ale will come out this weekend and I am sure I will be able to wait for it to bottle condition!

It is weird cause in my normal everyday life, I am impatient as all get out! Ask my last few girl friends!

Cigar Mitch
Mitch's Bitch'n Brews
Overmountain Brewers
Abingdon VA

Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Izbozz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
Thanks for all the help! Is 3 weeks total in the fermenter before I bottle enough time?
Alot of guys will leave their brews in primary for at least a month. Personally, I'm not that patient, so I usually bottle after 2-3 weeks. For me it really depends on the gravity and the type of beer, though. I'll take a gravity reading around a week after I pitch just to see/taste how the beer is going. I take another reading around 10-14 days. If it's the same as my 7 day reading I'll give the yeast a few more days to clean up. Then, I confirm the terminal gravity and bottle. If the reading is significantly lower at 10-14 days, I'll give it around a week and check again periodically until it's petered out. As a beginner, though, these are just my .02.

-Frankie D.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
spam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just just had the same thing,,,my american lite had a chemical bitterness at 2 weeks,,I thought it was ruined with bleach or something but let it sit for 2 more and now it's gone,,in fact I think it will be my best beer yet! good luck from a fellow noob!!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
arnoldk2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

The best way to get rid of most off flavors is let it sit in the primary for at least three weeks. Even though your airlock isn't bubbling anymore the yeasties are still working on cleaning up after themselves. I don't even bother with a secondary anymore unless im dry hopping or adding fruit. Secondary fermentation is way over rated. Then the other half of the battle is letting them condition in a bottle for 3 or 4 weeks. Any off flavor present when bottling should be gone after 3 or 4 weeks in a bottle.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
YankeePicker
Recipes 

It will be MUCH better after it sits in bottle for a few weeks. My first batch, I made a point to taste it at bottling. it was Meh. Two weeks later is was better, but not great. 4 weeks in the bottle, was VERY NICE. After that it just got better and better.

I do at least 4 weeks in fermenter (last batch was in there for 6), no secondary, and at least 3 weeks in bottle. Be patient, it's hard, but you can do it.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You get the fizzy by adding sugar at bottling time. Prime the beer to carbonate or she be flat.Cheers

Quick Reply