New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The taste of 2 day fermented beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
DogFlynnHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default The taste of 2 day fermented beer

Just made a sugar addition 2 days into fermentation and tasted a little of the beer left over in my test tube. It's a strong brown ale. And it taste like fizzy beer with a real sour finish. Is this pretty typical? Also the light colored yeasty foam on top of the beer has gone down and is now dark brown. Normal as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

I never worry about, or even really judge the tastes of my beers till they have been AT LEAST 3 weeks in the bottle....or up to 6 or so....

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

It's really hard to judge whether something is truly an off flavor, or is just green, until you pass a window of greenness. And that's usually based on the gravity/abv of the beer.... my belgian strong dark tasted like rocket fuel for 3 months, and is now perfect...and strong.

And I've even had most off flavors dissappear with time.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/never-dump-your-beer-patience-virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Your beer has a huge journey to go and will change over time....heck 90% of my beers are 2 months minimum from grain to glass...1 month in primary and 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning...I don't even bother to taste my beer samples until bottling day...and I don't "judge" or stress out about even then...it won't taste the same at the end of the journey.....

Relax.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

LEAVE IT ALONE! The yeast havent had nearly enough time to do their job yet. Let them do their job and you will be nicely rewarded
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
BrewToppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Exactly...

I agree completely. Just had my last bottle of Belgian Golden Ale last night, it's been about 3 months since bottling it. I didn't really like it all that much but this last bottle was much much better.

Lesson learned — bottle it up, get it into the pantry, and onto the next homebrew!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
businesstime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first two beers were just plain nasty tasting after a few weeks in primary. Very sour/astringent tasting. The first one has now been in bottle 3 weeks and has no resemblence to the taste at 2 weeks old. Remember, you're drinking warm uncarbonated beer. Even the best beers in the world taste nasty warm and uncarbonated.

I now trust the guys on this board when the say: RDWHAHB!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by businesstime View Post

I now trust the guys on this board when the say: RDWHAHB!
Oh goody, we've converted another one to the cult or relax.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
MasterShake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Oh goody, we've converted another one to the cult or relax.
I love relaxing, thats my middle name..

Old 08-26-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, RDWHAHB. Take it from a worrywort.

I think I asked about the taste of my hydro samples to this board for my first three or four batches. Those batches all turned out great.

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply