The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tarnished Batch???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
MConnelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tarnished Batch???

I just completed my first foray into homebrewing but, after reading some online posts about sanitation, fear I may have ruined my batch. After transferring my wort to my fermentation bucket, while inserting the 3-piece airlock into the top of my fermenter, I forced the black seal/ring through the hole. After unsuccessfully trying to fish it out with my brew spoon, I soaped up my left hand and arm and fished it out manually. Will this ruin my batch? How will I know?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

This is not recommended but you're not the first to do this. I bet it'll be just fine.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on that. usually the yeast take over before anything gets a chance.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
andythomas34
Recipes 

i think we all have done it ,should be fine

Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

This means you are now officially a homebrewer.

This is probably the most common first time post problem on here, and your beer, like the other's will turn out fine.

I've collected these stories to show new brewers just like you how hard it is to ruin you beer.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Read these whil you relax.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

That's what I did right before my first post here on the forum. I didn't fish it out, though. Just slapped the airlock on it anyway and secured with some duct tape.

Even today, I mutter to myself, "Airlock on the lid, lid on the bucket" in that order as I finish up a brew. I did buy another $.35 grommet just in case it happened again, thouugh. Since I learned the hard way to put the airlock on the bucket lid first, then the lid on the bucket, I haven't had it happen again.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
DoctorHops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When something goes wrong in brewing, remember the advice from "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" - "Don't Panic". Stop, relax, and try to think of a way to solve the problem without contaminating anything. Sometimes wives, children, or innocent standbyers can come up with a solution. Experience helps here. In your case, I would leave the grommet in the fermenter, wrap tape (electricians, masking, duct, shipping, take your pick) around the airlock to seal it and stick it in. Or cover the lid with plastic wrap to seal it. Then at your leisure the next day pick up a replacement grommet at your homebrew supplier or hardware store.

One lesson is to have a backup for things that can go wrong. In your case, get a replacement grommet the next time you are at the homebrew store. I always have backup yeast in the refrigerator to deal with potential yeast problems.

Inexperience is what differentiates us and our brews from the big boys.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

+1 to "I remember the first time I did that."

Common mistake, happens to the best of us. It'll be fine.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
That's what I did right before my first post here on the forum. I didn't fish it out, though. Just slapped the airlock on it anyway and secured with some duct tape.

This is what I did on my first ale pail, too. I am convinced that grommet just adds flavor.

Quick Reply