tankless water heater question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fulchitis

Reaction score
Hello,
My wife (she love to brew as well) and I have an older model tankless water heater that will actually heat water to 170 degrees. We can easily set/reset the temperature from inside.
Would increasing temperature on this heater be advised to heat our strike water. The piping to the kitchen sink is the same with the exception of the stainless steel pipes of the heater.

I would make sure that all piping is rated that high. I would imagine the piping, valves, and your faucet valves are going to endure additional stress, leading to leaks in the future. Also, depending on how far the water travels, it may not come out at 170 degrees. I like the idea though!

As long as you do NOT turn the hot water on kitchen faucet on at all while the temp is set to 170 you should be fine. You may find that the flow has to be restricted for it to reach that set temp. I don't see any reason not to do it because it's probably 40% more efficient at heating the water then a pot sitting on a burner.

I cranked up the heater and we are getting about 155 F at the sink. My builder and father-in-law said that the piped should be fine- I hope. Way more efficient than heating the water on the stove. Cuts an easy 20 mins to 30 min off the total process.

Back