Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tangy, Tart First Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
MaximAvs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincaid View Post
A note on the color.... perhaps you scorched it. Are you using a SS pot or an aluminum one? I scorched the my first one using an aluminum pot, seems to be easier to do in those.

Flavor- Maybe it's just me, but i've never known a vinegary taste to be pleasant or acceptable in beer, except maybe in an intentional sour mash. Give it time and perhaps it will Mellow out. Although it sounds like an infection to me IMO.

Time is a beers best friend. Don't be tempted to drink the green beer.... let it be and come back later to update us...
I used a SS pot. I don't think I scorched it. I even removed the pot from the heat when I added the LME. It was really dark when I finished but it actually lightened up as it fermented.
I will let it sit for a while and report back in a couple of weeks!
Thank you!!

Primary:Clean
Secondary:Clean
Bottled: Octoberfest
Kegged: Summer Lemon Blonde
Kegged: Irish Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #22
MaximAvs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
OP, do yourself a favor and pick up a yeast like WLP 300 next time you do a hefe. I've used WB-06 with a hefe before. It turned out OK. Next time I used WLP 300. Like night and day. The yeast truly helps to bring the flavors of this style.

Also about aging hefe's. I fermented mine for 2-3 weeks and then bottled. Taste was awesome for about 4-5 weeks after. After that, the beer lost a lot of the yeast/banana flavors and became kind of bland.
I was thinking of trying a different flavor.

If anyone wants to recommend a good tried hefe recipe, I'd appreciate it!!

Sean

Old 10-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #23
pkincaid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs View Post
I was thinking of trying a different flavor.

If anyone wants to recommend a good tried hefe recipe, I'd appreciate it!!

Sean
I'll let you know how my current one comes out... It's an AG, original creation, but perhaps I can convert it to extract for ya.
Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:Rootbeer, apple cider, sweet mead
Kegged apple ciderUp Next: 3 honey mead

Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #24
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
@jjones17
Thanks for the info!! I'm not sure I can LOVE that tangy flavor. The DME was a Wheat Dry Malt Extract. So I'm hoping it mellows out somewhat. If I change yeast can I lessen the tanginess?!

I did have a great time making it, and I'm looking forward to trying other styles.

BTW, on a side note, I love Nanaimo bars!!!

Sean
Awesome you love Nanaimo bars

Anyway, no you cannot lessen that Tangyness by changing the yeast- it is part of a young wheat using TONS of wheat extract in relation to other extracts. Which is what you did. I brew all grain, and when I use TONS of wheat grain (IE more than 50% of the grain bill) I get the same thing.

If you really want to reduce that tangyness do this:

- Reduce your wheat extract to less than 40% of the grain bill. If you do this, you will notice a HUUUUUUUUUGE difference. I did a wheat beer with only 20% of the grain bill, using wheat yeast though. Not really a wheat in the traditional sense, but probably one of the best beers I have every had - seriously. I am am bit tipsy on it now

Old 10-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #25
MaximAvs
Recipes 

Just a follow up guys. I went and took my hefe brew to a local homebrew night to ask fellow brewers what might be going on.
After discussing my processes and tasting my beer they felt that the beer being young MIGHT be what's going on but 2 other issues might be bigger.
1. I used tap water. Everyone said I should use bottled water or at least set the tap water out over night to allow the chlorine to evaporate.
2. My brew equipment is brand new! I have Better Brew plastic fermenting carboys and they think my brew absorbed some of the plastic taste from the carboys. They get a plastic back taste from the beer.
They didn't think it would improve with age.
So I think it's back to the drawing board for me.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
MaximAvs
Recipes 

Another update.
I told my fellow co-workers that my first brew is possibly a dud. They said they still want to try it. So I handed out 4 bottles of it and waited to hear comments.

Lo and behold, they all like it. The comment is it IS a bit sour but no more than a couple of lemon/lime slices in a beer.

I guess I wont be pouring it out after all and instead sharing it with them!!

Maybe I'm too picky on my beer flavor.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #27
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wanted to use WB-06 on the witbier I was planning and after reading a lot of info on the web, the consensus seems to point to the fact that it is a tart yeast. Potent tartness was a recurring theme, so I doubt your problem is due to water or infection. Wheat beers also have this tartness from the taste of the wheat alone.

From reading about hefeweizens, I get the feeling you need the liquid yeast strain if you want the real banana and clove.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #28
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Another update.
I told my fellow co-workers that my first brew is possibly a dud. They said they still want to try it. So I handed out 4 bottles of it and waited to hear comments.

Lo and behold, they all like it. The comment is it IS a bit sour but no more than a couple of lemon/lime slices in a beer.

I guess I wont be pouring it out after all and instead sharing it with them!!

Maybe I'm too picky on my beer flavor.
Nope you just didn't wait long enough This is a tart yeast, needs much more time the in the bottle to meet a more mellow state than 4 weeks. Mine usually start getting really good after 1.5 - 2 months in the bottle. Honestly, the last WB-06 beer I made was one of the best wheats I have EVER had. Period.

Please do not threaten dumping a beer ever again you will give me a stroke.

Quick Reply