Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tangy, Tart First Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
MaximAvs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerJorge View Post
What water did you use to brew?
Tap water. It tastes good to me, and from what I've heard if your tap water tastes good to you, you should use it.

I did let it sit for 24 hours prior to using it (to attempt to get the chlorine to evaporate).

Primary:Clean
Secondary:Clean
Bottled: Octoberfest
Kegged: Summer Lemon Blonde
Kegged: Irish Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
MaximAvs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Sean, Did you taste this prior to bottling at all?
What is your sanitizing routine and what do you use for sanitation pre fermentation through bottling?
I did taste the brew after primary, and it was pretty good.
I tasted it after secondary, and it had a little "tang" to it but I thought it might have been from the sanitizer that was on the thief.

As for sanitizing I thought I did a good job (over cautious) being my first brew. I used Star-San on everything through the process (even used it in the air valve).

I had posted before that my secondary was still bubbling after a week but the hydro hadn't changed at all, and the folks here said it was probably OK and to go ahead and bottle.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs View Post
I did taste the brew after primary, and it was pretty good.
I tasted it after secondary, and it had a little "tang" to it but I thought it might have been from the sanitizer that was on the thief.

As for sanitizing I thought I did a good job (over cautious) being my first brew. I used Star-San on everything through the process (even used it in the air valve).

I had posted before that my secondary was still bubbling after a week but the hydro hadn't changed at all, and the folks here said it was probably OK and to go ahead and bottle.
Well, sounds good then, see if it gets better or worst in a week or so, if it's worst there may be some infection. I use our crappy beer for the grill, and believe me we have a lot of crappy beer, that's how you learn to make good beer, IMO.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey man, if you want some decent advice on your tangy-ness... Post your recipe. Its the only way for anyone to give you a half-thought out opinion on what you are tasting. Heck, I don't even know if you did a coopers kit or an all grain batch?

Post it! At least some basic details....

EDIT - FYI, I have xperienced the same taste you describe in a wheat beer before also, but I need to know what you are brewing.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #15
MaximAvs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Hey man, if you want some decent advice on your tangy-ness... Post your recipe. Its the only way for anyone to give you a half-thought out opinion on what you are tasting. Heck, I don't even know if you did a coopers kit or an all grain batch?

Post it! At least some basic details....

EDIT - FYI, I have xperienced the same taste you describe in a wheat beer before also, but I need to know what you are brewing.
You're right!! I should have started with that!!

I've added the recipe and procedure to the first post!!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:50 AM   #16
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs View Post
You're right!! I should have started with that!!

I've added the recipe and procedure to the first post!!
Thats easier now, thanks

Ok, well let me see if I can ease your mind a bit. My very first hefe was almost the same recipe as yours except I used wheat extract for about half of my recipe. I used the same yeast as you did, and used some crystal as well (which is not very typical of the style, but I love full bodied beers which is why I used the crystal).

Anyway, I got the EXACT same INTENSE twangy, bannana-y, etc from my beer and I hated it. BUT ----- you will learn to love it! Yes, you heard right.

That yeast will give you those characteristics any day of the week, sometimes it is super pronounced in the beer and other times not so much. But any time I use that yeast, I prepare my taste buds for the intense tartness that will be coming. However, as brews went on I began to crave that taste, which is a hallmark of a hefe. Those not used to the freshness of a homemade wheat will be shocked by it, but its not really a bad thing.

Now, you will definately notice that flavor subside as time goes on. Your beer will end up more like an underhopped pale ale within a month or two (if it lasts that long). This is because I do not see any wheat extract in your recipe. Wheat will help your beer stay tasting wheat-beerish after the yeast settles out and becomes less pronounced - that can take some time, but I suspect you will begin to really enjoy this beer after a few more weeks from now.

Cheers, sounds like you had fun making it

Brew on, brother!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #17
MaximAvs
Recipes 

@jjones17
Thanks for the info!! I'm not sure I can LOVE that tangy flavor. The DME was a Wheat Dry Malt Extract. So I'm hoping it mellows out somewhat. If I change yeast can I lessen the tanginess?!

I did have a great time making it, and I'm looking forward to trying other styles.

BTW, on a side note, I love Nanaimo bars!!!

Sean

Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #18
MaximAvs
Recipes 

So I got thinking guys... I know ... horrifying!

I was looking at the recipe I had for my brew, and at the bottom where it talks about boiling up the sugar water for bottle conditioning it says..
"Add 3/4 cup corn sugar or 1-1/4 cups of dry malt extract to 2 cups of water and boil.."

I'm starting to wonder if I used 1-1/4 cups of corn sugar for my solution because i was reading too fast and the "1-1/4" is a little bolder than the "3/4".
Do you think that would give me that really tangy flavor or would that just over carbonate the brew?

Sean

Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
pkincaid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 85

A note on the color.... perhaps you scorched it. Are you using a SS pot or an aluminum one? I scorched the my first one using an aluminum pot, seems to be easier to do in those.

Flavor- Maybe it's just me, but i've never known a vinegary taste to be pleasant or acceptable in beer, except maybe in an intentional sour mash. Give it time and perhaps it will Mellow out. Although it sounds like an infection to me IMO.

Time is a beers best friend. Don't be tempted to drink the green beer.... let it be and come back later to update us...

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:Rootbeer, apple cider, sweet mead
Kegged apple ciderUp Next: 3 honey mead

Old 10-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #20
DirkDiggler
Recipes 

OP, do yourself a favor and pick up a yeast like WLP 300 next time you do a hefe. I've used WB-06 with a hefe before. It turned out OK. Next time I used WLP 300. Like night and day. The yeast truly helps to bring the flavors of this style.

Also about aging hefe's. I fermented mine for 2-3 weeks and then bottled. Taste was awesome for about 4-5 weeks after. After that, the beer lost a lot of the yeast/banana flavors and became kind of bland.

Quick Reply