A Tale Of Two Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbrit

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have had my first two batches (hefe and APA) bottled for 3 weeks now. I used a secondary for the pale but not for the hefe. I also used a whirlfloc in the pale and had it fementing for total of three weeks as opposed to the hefe which i bottled after only 9 days.

Here's the thing.

The pale is quite cloudy. The yeast particles hang around floating in the glass for a long time before they settle to the bottom.

Why is the hefe more clear than the pale? This doesnt make sense to me. But then again i'm a noob so i'm hoping you guys can shed some light on this.

I had chill haze when I first started and its because I wasnt cooling fast enough. As far as I understand its a risk you take when using an IC as compared to other chilling methods because the protein doesnt fall out. If you cold crash the beer for a while though that will solve all your problems.

IC = Immersion chiller? I thought they brought the temp down pretty quickly. I always use an immersion chiller and an Ice bath and it helps drop the temp quite rapidly.

Latest posts

Back