The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Taking Hydrometer readings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Bonzailopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Taking Hydrometer readings

Ok, I've just put my first ever batch into my Primary Fermenter two nights ago. I took an initial gravity reading and it seemed like it was right on for what the kit called for. But now that I have the beer fermenting I'm feeling a little angst over how to take another reading. The air lock bubbles no more than once or twice every ten minutes or so. I want to take a reading just to see where I'm at even though it seems much too soon for fermentation to be done (I pitched yeast this past Monday at midnight). I'm sure it's a stupid question, but is it ok to open the lid at this point? And if so, am I supposed to just drop the Hydrometer in, or take a sample out and do it separately? It seems silly to me typing it out like this, I just wanted to get some feedback. thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I would wait til it was between 7-10 days before even bothering...the beer is fermenting fine, so there's no point in openning it..You only now need to know when the beeer is finished if you decide to secondary (and I usually don;t do that til the 14th day anyway)

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitizer.

2) remove lid

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

7) drop hydrometer in sample jar and take reading

8)drink sample

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again.

Probably less if you have help.

It's easy peasy!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Bonzailopper
Recipes 

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I didn't even think of the turkey baster. Will definitely be doing it that way. thanks Revvy!

Oh, and I like the "drink sample" step. I can't wait for that step.

Quick Reply