Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Taking beer out of the fridge at 38 f

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
ryno1ryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Taking beer out of the fridge at 38 f

and letting it warm up to try to "secondary it" again.

Will this work?

I realize that since my OG was high, I should have let it sit in the secondary for much longer than the low OG Mr Beer kits.

Will this be possible to do? Or will it turn out skunky?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Are you trying to get rid of a particular flavor that you think the warm secondary will help with? Is it in a carboy/bucket or already bottled? What kind of beer?

One answer is that if you keep it out of the light it won't turn skunky. That is a chemical reaction that is caused by UV light operating on the hop oils. Letting it warm should not cause skunkiness. Keeping it in a warm location for a period of time does help the yeast clean up some of the off flavors. This process is slow at best and being in a cold location slows it even more.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

What are your wanting to do with it? I don't understand whats going on.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's you're already bottled you're beer, taking it out will do nothing except make it warm. Any gravity change to your batch will only happen in the primary while you still have a lot of yeast available.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Are you trying to get rid of a particular flavor that you think the warm secondary will help with? Is it in a carboy/bucket or already bottled? What kind of beer?

One answer is that if you keep it out of the light it won't turn skunky. That is a chemical reaction that is caused by UV light operating on the hop oils. Letting it warm should not cause skunkiness. Keeping it in a warm location for a period of time does help the yeast clean up some of the off flavors. This process is slow at best and being in a cold location slows it even more.
Yes to your answer. I wanted to warm it back up so the remaining yeast could clean it up some more.

I tasted some last night and after more time in the fridge... it does seem tolerable now.

I might just charlie mike it through this batch to get it over with.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
It's you're already bottled you're beer, taking it out will do nothing except make it warm. Any gravity change to your batch will only happen in the primary while you still have a lot of yeast available.
This isn't quite true. There are a lot of complex chemical reactions going on in beer and if it is bottled and chilled these reactions will still continue but at a much slower pace, perhaps months instead of days. My beers are never chilled until I'm sure they are matured. Stored at room temperature they do just fine, maturing at their own pace. I may chill one or 3 to sample to see if the maturity is where i expect.

The exception to the above is beer that is dry hopped. That is a balancing act as the beer matures at its normal pace but the hop aroma begins to fade fairly quickly, nearly disappearing in afew short months.

Quick Reply