Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sweet vs bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Cheapo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Sweet vs bitter

I like to keep my bitterness as low as I can, maybe I'm more of a lager/pilsner/some ale guy than anything, but has anyone else been worried by the amount of hops flavor going into their first few batches? I'm almost finding myself a little disappointed that I may have ended up making more of a pale ale than an amber ale-many pale ales I've tasted have been pretty hoppy.......

*edit* I also wonder if I left my grains to steep for a bit longer than I should have

Reason: adding info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like and make everything but sours. I don't pay much attention to styles of beer. If it sounds good to me, I'll try it or try to make it. I love a hoppy beer just as much as a malty, yeasty, or well balanced one. I'm not a big fan of spices and other flavor additives, but I've used them. I've come up with some recipes that were too bitter for what I was aiming for, but that doesn't mean I don't like a bitter beer. If you are using recipe kits from a home brew shop, pick a less bitter style. Use hop bags to pull your bittering hops out as soon as you hit the bitterring hops time. Get some brewing software to better estimate the bitterness ratio you enjoy and shoot for that with future brews.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How do you calculate IBUs? It's important to know the alpha acid% of the hops you use and the amount. Also, the point at which you add the hops will also affect the bitterness. Sometimes, just a half ounce of an average AA bittering hop added at 60 min is all you need. It'll depend on style of course but I suggest getting an app or program that will calculate IBUs for you. This will go a long way in helping you get the right amount of bitterness in your beers.

Edit: Also if you feel you are getting too much hop flavor, it may be because you are adding the hops too late. Try adding just one addition at 60 minutes.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapo View Post
I like to keep my bitterness as low as I can, maybe I'm more of a lager/pilsner/some ale guy than anything, but has anyone else been worried by the amount of hops flavor going into their first few batches? I'm almost finding myself a little disappointed that I may have ended up making more of a pale ale than an amber ale-many pale ales I've tasted have been pretty hoppy.......

*edit* I also wonder if I left my grains to steep for a bit longer than I should have
i screwed up the taste balance of bitter vs sweet and smooth with every batch, until i learned to calculate the hops additions with IBU's, rather than just by weighing the pellets.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I like malty beers, sweet to not sweet, seems like most beers are better with less than the recommended hops as far as I am concerned, this hophead thing is a fad, and beer the way it was meant to be is a malty well balanced flavorful drink, there is nothing well balanced about an IPA, Im sure Ill get blasted for speaking my mind, thats just my 2 cents and you asked lol

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
I like malty beers, sweet to not sweet, seems like most beers are better with less than the recommended hops as far as I am concerned, this hophead thing is a fad, and beer the way it was meant to be is a malty well balanced flavorful drink, there is nothing well balanced about an IPA, Im sure Ill get blasted for speaking my mind, thats just my 2 cents and you asked lol

Cheers
Try any good English IPA's lately?? IMO, you're describing the American IPA's to a T. The English version, IME/IMO, is much more balanced.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote

Cheers
How dare you! Haha jk. I love hoppy beers and would probably consider myself a hop head. But I also really love malty beers, especially in the winter. There is just something really nice about a full flavored sweet malty beer. Mmm...

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
Cheapo
Recipes 

Hahaha, yes malty is more the word to describe some of my more favorite beers. I will definitely look at the grain bags approach, also maybe reducing some of the amounts in my future recipes so that more of the malts come through. I'll have to see if the ferment takes any of that flavor out as well- anybody had that happen?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Remember, though, that the longer you leave a hoppy beer to condition, the more the hoppiness will mellow-out and the maltiness will become far more apparent.

And yes. There's definitely going to be a change in the perceivable hoppiness from a sample tasted as you pour the wort into your fermenter and one after fermentation is finished, you probably lose some of the flavour/aroma and possibly a little bittering, although the beer will be a lot less sweet so the hoppiness might be a bit more "in your face" for the first few weeks.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Cheapo
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I'm thinking of splitting this one half n half, maybe pumpkin-ing half....it is an ale after all, and I'd like to try adding some complex flavours to it and see what happens

Quick Reply