Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sweet taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
lazarus0530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Sweet taste

I brewed an eba about a month ago. I let it ferment for 21 day and bottled it. Let that sit for two weeks and put it in the fridge . I popped one open last night. And it's way to sweet almost a citrus flavor. It's not bad not sour but my last two batches have come out tasting almost the same one was an American lager and now this one. I think it's my bottles. I clean them with oxy clean then sanitize them. I'm really pissed off by the way my beers have been tasting . I'm going to brew a brown ale but now I'm concerned .... I need to start keg'n

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1514 Times on 1438 Posts
Likes Given: 52720

Switching to kegging won't help since if it is a brewing or cleaning/sanitizing issue, it will persist no matter how you package your brew.

Please go into more detail with your brewing/fermenting/cleaning/sanitizing routine so that we may pinpoint the problem.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 07-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
Switching to kegging won't help since if it is a brewing or cleaning/sanitizing issue, it will persist no matter how you package your brew.

Please go into more detail with your brewing/fermenting/cleaning/sanitizing routine so that we may pinpoint the problem.
+1

If you have issues with your process, kegging isn't going to make them go away, I've tasted just as much ****ty beer from kegs as from bottles....Probably even more, since many keggers don't let their beer condition as long as bottlers do. SO they're not benefitting from any conditioning time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
lazarus0530
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok first I clean my fermenter with boil'n hot water . And oxy clean (I like the boil effect since bacteria can't hide from heat) then I sanitize it with star Stan. My bottles I do the same thing I boil my bottles then star Stan them. It's not a real bad flavor just not one I want. There's gotta be a better way to clean bottles. This is the second time in batches. I feel I can clean a keg better. Although I will admit this maybe I'm getting to much oxygen when I rack my bottles?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4254 Times on 3099 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus0530 View Post
Ok first I clean my fermenter with boil'n hot water . And oxy clean (I like the boil effect since bacteria can't hide from heat) then I sanitize it with star Stan. My bottles I do the same thing I boil my bottles then star Stan them. It's not a real bad flavor just not one I want. There's gotta be a better way to clean bottles. This is the second time in batches. I feel I can clean a keg better. Although I will admit this maybe I'm getting to much oxygen when I rack my bottles?
I have a feeling that the issue may be much simpler- probably the water you're using. Are you using tap water in your brewing? Some tap waters have ingredients like chlorine or chloramines that cause a certain "flavor" in the beer.

Can you post a typical recipe along with your technique, so we can see if this is a small boil/extract thing or a water issue? I doubt that this is a bottling issue.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Did you take gravity readings to confirm that the brews were actually done before bottling them up? Also, three weeks isn't all that long, IMO, to go from boil to bottle.

I go 4+ weeks in primary, check with a gravity reading to make SURE the brew is done before bottling/kegging it up. I also taste the gravity sample to make SURE it's actually ready for bottle/keg. Taking the gravity reading and tasting it can save you from what you're encountering. Provided there's not something else in the mix causing your issue.

Out of curiosity, what kind of sugar are you priming with? I've had excellent results using Dememera sugar (aka Turbinado, aka raw cane sugar). You can use a bit less than corn sugar too. Not that it matters. Also, are you weighing the priming sugar? Are you boiling the sugar in a cup, or two, of water before priming?

BTW, unless you ferment in stainless, using 'boil'n hot water' is not a good idea. Going above the listed temperature limits for glass, or plastic, fermenters can lead to a few issues. The least harmful is melting, the most is shattering (hurting YOU in a bad way)...

BTW, Yooper, nice to see the return of your 'fun' avatar...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Maybe I'm asking the obvious, but what was your FG and what hops did you use?

Carboy 3: Chianti
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: 1 Gallon of Wild Yeast Culture!
Keg 1: Kate the Great Clone (left tap)
Keg 2: Bourbon Imperial Stout (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Air
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine

In the Works: IPA

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

Old 07-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
lazarus0530
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

All my gravity readings are fine. I always take a lil taste of my beer before i bottle and it's awesome the right taste (just flat) I use priming sugar (it's not corn it's the other one) the water I use is bottled (deer park or Poland springs ext. Ext.) it's something in the bottle'n process I can't get it right. I had two brews that would win contest now I cant even drink more then one. It gets the bitter citrus taste. Some one said I should use iodine drops does this work?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
lazarus0530
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mainebrew
Maybe I'm asking the obvious, but what was your FG and what hops did you use?
This batch my final fg was 1.002 I forget the name of the hops I used but I've used them before with success. I'm in my car now I don't have the exact recipe. But like I said coming out of the fermantor it tasted awesome pop'd open a bottle and was "F&$# ME!!!" it's tasted the same as my last batch.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus0530

This batch my final fg was 1.002 I forget the name of the hops I used but I've used them before with success. I'm in my car now I don't have the exact recipe. But like I said coming out of the fermantor it tasted awesome pop'd open a bottle and was "F&$# ME!!!" it's tasted the same as my last batch.
Are they carbed up? Could be leftover sugar that hasn't been eaten yet...And u should figure out what type of sugar and post it later...could be less fermentable?

Quick Reply