The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Swamp Cooler Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
BesteBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Swamp Cooler Question

Hey all

So to deal with higher temps i set up my first swamp cooler when i brewed monday afternoon. Used WLP400 (Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 67-74°F.) By tuesday morning fermentation was going good and i had my water in my cooler around 62 because i thought temps inside were to be a couple degress higher then the water temps but out of curiosity i checked my inside temp tonight and it was around 62, the same as the ouside water. Should i keep my temps of the outside water the same and expect the inside temps to rise or should i stop switching out frozen water bottles and let the whole system rise to around 70?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
chowser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If during the height of fermentation you noticed the temps the same, I'd imagine that it would stay that way the whole time. I'd make the exterior temp the same as I want the interior temp to be; it probably will be, +/- a degree.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I second chowsers comments. Shoot for a degree or two below your desired temperature. If there is enough thermal mass in the swamp cooler water you very well could be extremely close to the actual fermentation temperatures.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesteBrew View Post
Hey all

So to deal with higher temps i set up my first swamp cooler when i brewed monday afternoon. Used WLP400 (Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 67-74°F.) By tuesday morning fermentation was going good and i had my water in my cooler around 62 because i thought temps inside were to be a couple degress higher then the water temps but out of curiosity i checked my inside temp tonight and it was around 62, the same as the ouside water. Should i keep my temps of the outside water the same and expect the inside temps to rise or should i stop switching out frozen water bottles and let the whole system rise to around 70?
It's unusual that the fermentation temp wouldn't be a little higher than the water in the cooler. Once the fermentation slows down, it usually equalizes.

Quick Reply