Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > suspended yeast how to clear?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
tjr9175
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default suspended yeast how to clear?

I recently brewed a scottish export 80 all went well. 1 week primary 2 weeks secondary force carbed in keg been sitting 2 weeks Ive tried a few pints and have alot of suspended yeast beer is not clear looks cloudy like a wheat would I was wondering if I added biofine clear now would this clear this beer? If anyone has used this product please let me know cause i really like this beer just not the residual yeast.

"An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass to keep from falling off the earth."
~Irish Saying

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
emetcalf
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The first few pints are going to be extra cloudy because everything that was in suspension in the fermenters is falling out. Once you get all the sediment out, it should start to clear up on its own. Just make sure you aren't shaking the keg too much.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

What yeast did you use? Assuming it's a pretty flocculent British strain, I wouldn't worry about it now. But in the future, using fining agents when you cold crash / keg really speeds up the process. I use gelatin and 2 or 3 days after kegging the first pint comes out like a thin yeast slurry, then it's crystal clear after that. Without the finings, it slowly gets less hazy over the course of the first gallon or so.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Some yeasts are particularly hard to remove (to me, Wyeast #2565 Kolsch is like that).

You can use a teaspoon of unflavored gelatin (dilute in 1 cup of water, heat slowly to near boil but do not boil) and add it either to the secondary at transfer time, or to the bottom of the keg when filling it.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
What yeast did you use? Assuming it's a pretty flocculent British strain, I wouldn't worry about it now. But in the future, using fining agents when you cold crash / keg really speeds up the process. I use gelatin and 2 or 3 days after kegging the first pint comes out like a thin yeast slurry, then it's crystal clear after that. Without the finings, it slowly gets less hazy over the course of the first gallon or so.
+1 to theses practices, my beer after the first pint or two appear to be as clear as any mass produced domestic lager.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
tjr9175
Recipes 

I did use wyeast british ale yeast but finnings are a must a lesson learned thanks for all the helpful comments I tried biofine clear if it works ill update in a day or so.

"An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass to keep from falling off the earth."
~Irish Saying

Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
tjr9175
Recipes 

Biofine did help it cleared fortunately and unfortunately it was such an amazing batch of beer that it barely lasted 3 weeks clear or not more beer has excellent kits thanks for all the comments and ideas finings will be used before cold crashing with my current batch

~Irish Saying

Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
tjr9175
Recipes 

Attachment 35811

This is the finished product

~Irish Saying

Quick Reply