Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Suspended sludge/krausen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
damos12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Suspended sludge/krausen?

Hi,

I'm a recent homebrewer and am brewing my first gallon of an IPA. After the first 24 hours of being placed in the carboy, there was a lot of activity and a green sludge formed at the top. So much in fact that it pushed its way down much of the blow-off tube. While it could simply be krausen, the greenish color threw me for a bit of a loop.

The major issue is that it's now suspended in the neck of the carboy. When I insert the racking cane in 12 days time, it's inadvertently going to push some of the sludge back into the wort. Is this anything I should be concerned about? Should I push it down now so it has time to settle?

I've attached a not-so-great photo taken from my phone.

Thanks for your help.

imag0499.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

It is krausen mixed with hop debris and its no big deal. After fermentation slows the krausen will begin to drop and the beer will begin to clear. Ideally you keep the beer in primary for at least 2 weeks. This will allow the drop and clearing as well as the yeast cleaning up after themselves

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What duboman said. And to address your other concern: Yes it seems likely that when it comes time to rack, that sludge-plug may still be there. And again my advice is, don't worry about it. You may get a few floaties in your bottles (which won't affect your enjoyment of the beer); more likely is that as your beer spends three weeks carbonating (conditioning) in bottles, those floaties will settle to the bottom of the bottle and you can gently pour off the top.

No worries!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Quick Reply