Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Suprising fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
fatbob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Suprising fermentation

Before racking my Cream Stout to the keg I took a sample to check finishing gravity after over 4 wks in primary & it was at about 1.026. It was an extract and the OG was at 1.052. I usually don't even bother checking until I am ready to bottle or keg. I put it into the keg & purged the air out & put about 30 psi of carbon dioxide in and plan to keep it at 70 degrees for another 2 to 3 wks & check it again. I used the muntons dry yeast that came in the kit. I know that a lot of you on this forum don't care for the muntons but I haven't had any trouble in the past. Any suggestions?

Primary; Smithwicks Clone, Honey Brown Ale, Cream Stout

Secondary; I usually leave in primary 3 wks then condition 3wks in keg

Bottled;

Hophead double IPA
Nut Brown Ale

Kegged; Biermunchers Cenntenial Blonde
Bass Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
Kungpaodog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You may have and exploding keg if the fermentation takes off again, but I doubt that will happen. Pressurizing the keg to 30 PSI will probably inhibit any further yeast activity that you might see. If you are really hoping for it to keep fermenting then you may want to rig up an airlock on the keg.

If you kept the primary too cool then you may have had an incomplete fermentation, or you may have caramelized a lot of the malt extract during the boil, leading to a high FG, or maybe the yeast weren't very healthy...

Bottom line: does it taste like green beer should? You might just have a sweet beer. Drink 'em if you got 'em!

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply