super major christmas FAIL :crying:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhure

Reaction score
so ive brewed 3 batches so far now because im hooked. but tonight i bottled my second batch and it was epic FAIL!!!!!!!!!!! i think i might puke and i have definitly cried already.

i was so exited after my first brew that i bumped it up a notch. a big notch for me! a few weeks ago i brewed Dickens Strong Christmas Ale from THIS BOOK.

it was a pretty big recipe for me and kind of expensive to buy all the fruit and honey and seperate spices. it was going to be gifts for all of my friends at christmas, so price wasnt a concern, really. it got really expensive when i splurged on 4 cases of 16 oz EZ-cap bottles to bottle them in. that alone set me back over a hundie. so far the whole recipe plus fancy bottles cost me about $170.

I was going to order some fancy cardboard holiday themed 4 pack holders and give each friend a completely unique gift and it would have bumped the price to around $200 with the 4-pack holders. that not really too bad since I would produce at least 9 but hopefully 10 complete 4-packs to give as gifts. so its really only spending $20 or less on each of your friends, that's nothing. relax. dont worry.

then everything went fine at bottling time. they were brand new bottles so i didnt scrub them but just ran the in my dishwasher without adding soap and set it on the sterile setting. they were hot hot. i had to let them cool in the rack while i got the stansar all set up. i bought a sprayer for my bottle tree to spray sanitize each one. this thing is amazing. this all went much better than my last bottling fumble, but at least i'll get beer from that one.

i boiled my priming sugar in 1 pint or water and let it cool on the stove covered with the lid that had been starsaned. i put the primer in the bucket maybe a little to hot, i'm thinking like 85 degrees. i wasn't too worried because such a small volume going in at 85 with a large volume at 65 coming in on top should have very little affect.

i filled all the bottles and damn! those EZ cap bottles are the cats pajamas! no wonder theyer so expensive. bottling went so quickly, just fill with my right hand and flip the lid and pop, all with the left hand. those bottles are nice! i ended up filling 42 bottles. that give me with enough to put together 10 four-packs as gifts, and leave me a couple extra spares do drink.

I was cleaning up after my mess, which really wasn't as big a mess as last time, and i saw the bag of priming sugar still sitting there! oh s4it! i know i put it in there. :: panicking :: maybe they just gave me an extra bag by mistake. i'm looking, lookig, looking, for the empty bag i put in the priming water, and hoe-lee-fook i just primed my precious precious christmas creation with a sample bag of 1-step cleaner that came free with my kit.

:denial: :anger: :bargaining: :depression: depression will certainly stick around a while before i get to acceptance. i was so, so proud. and now i am so, so down. i very well may puke before the night is over.

Ouch..... So Sorry.... How much One-Step was in the sample bag?

Edit: Never mind..... it was too much! If you look at the bright side (yeah...I know)... the biggest expense was the flip top bottles. If it were me I would buy a good All Grain Holiday Beer kit for $40 and maybe add a little extra hop or spice to doll it up with..... you've got 3 weeks to get it into bottles... Just tell them to age their Christmas present for a month or two before enjoying!

Wow. That sucks big time!

At least you can still use the bottles for a future brew.

This is totally something I could see myself doing. It's so easy to grab the wrong thing when you are scurrying around. Bottling time can definitely be that way.

Sorry.
But, welcome to the club. Pretty much all of us have made mistakes, ruining batches.
Here are some of my greatest hits:
Unsanitized cup to sample a cooled batch: infected.
Steep hops in a tea ball. Too small: bland.
Gravities and mash temps all over, boilovers, leaking fermenter spigot, runaway ferment temps, fruitflies and mold in the fermenter, clogged autosiphon, clogged bottle wand, leaking bottle wand, wrong bittering hop, the list goes on. It's a wonder that I ever make good beer, but I do. You will again too, and you have a good story to tell when you can laugh at it.

Been there, done that once upon a time myself. I can't think of very many mistakes I did NOT make at one time or another over the past 18 years or so. We all know how it feels to screw something up and have a beer we had big plans for turn out poorly.

At least you did not hand them all out and give a bunch of horrid "one-step-ale" to your friends and family to drink:drunk:

Brew on.

That recipe is a big tough beer... my condolences on your loss.

I am arguing with myself about how bad/harmful 0.12 ounces of one step would be per 16 ounce bottle. Assuming you used 5 ounces of one step... that is what the math gives you. Can you taste the cleaner? Maybe you'll get improved head retention with the soap... trying to look on the bright-side here. Better luck next time.

I have also done the soap thing. Thought I was using 1 step, turned out to be PBW. The beer was awful, but I still have it around and pop one open to taste from time to time to remind me never to make that same mistake again.

As others have said, and I agree, you still have 3 weeks, brew up a $40 batch with some spice and bottle it in time for Christmas. Does it suck? Yes, but it is done, get over it and move on. Would you rather spend $24 per person and still give them a unique gift that they can enjoy a few weeks after Christmas, or would you prefer to just give up, wallow in self pity, and flush the original $200 down the drain?

Life is full of lessons, and often times the hard won lessons are the ones best retained.

Very sad:( The good side is that you discovered your mistake now and not as all of your friends begin telling you what horrible beer you make!

This is what makes us better brewers. It makes you pay closer attention to every little step.

Your next one will be very nice!

I was hopeful at one point in the story -- thought maybe you had added hot water with no sugar -- a relatively easy fix.

I was also hopeful early on -- thought maybe a Dickens Strong was akin to a Dickens Cider ;)

Wow, that's painful to read... so sorry to hear man!! On the bright side, now you have your epic brewing failure story to tell for years to come ;) We all have one :mug:

Rev.

so ive brewed 3 batches so far now because im hooked. but tonight i bottled my second batch and it was epic FAIL!!!!!!!!!!! i think i might puke and i have definitly cried already.

i was so exited after my first brew that i bumped it up a notch. a big notch for me! a few weeks ago i brewed Dickens Strong Christmas Ale from THIS BOOK.

it was a pretty big recipe for me and kind of expensive to buy all the fruit and honey and seperate spices. it was going to be gifts for all of my friends at christmas, so price wasnt a concern, really. it got really expensive when i splurged on 4 cases of 16 oz EZ-cap bottles to bottle them in. that alone set me back over a hundie. so far the whole recipe plus fancy bottles cost me about $170.

I was going to order some fancy cardboard holiday themed 4 pack holders and give each friend a completely unique gift and it would have bumped the price to around $200 with the 4-pack holders. that not really too bad since I would produce at least 9 but hopefully 10 complete 4-packs to give as gifts. so its really only spending $20 or less on each of your friends, that's nothing. relax. dont worry.

then everything went fine at bottling time. they were brand new bottles so i didnt scrub them but just ran the in my dishwasher without adding soap and set it on the sterile setting. they were hot hot. i had to let them cool in the rack while i got the stansar all set up. i bought a sprayer for my bottle tree to spray sanitize each one. this thing is amazing. this all went much better than my last bottling fumble, but at least i'll get beer from that one.

i boiled my priming sugar in 1 pint or water and let it cool on the stove covered with the lid that had been starsaned. i put the primer in the bucket maybe a little to hot, i'm thinking like 85 degrees. i wasn't too worried because such a small volume going in at 85 with a large volume at 65 coming in on top should have very little affect.

i filled all the bottles and damn! those EZ cap bottles are the cats pajamas! no wonder theyer so expensive. bottling went so quickly, just fill with my right hand and flip the lid and pop, all with the left hand. those bottles are nice! i ended up filling 42 bottles. that give me with enough to put together 10 four-packs as gifts, and leave me a couple extra spares do drink.

I was cleaning up after my mess, which really wasn't as big a mess as last time, and i saw the bag of priming sugar still sitting there! oh s4it! i know i put it in there. :: panicking :: maybe they just gave me an extra bag by mistake. i'm looking, lookig, looking, for the empty bag i put in the priming water, and hoe-lee-fook i just primed my precious precious christmas creation with a sample bag of 1-step cleaner that came free with my kit.

:denial: :anger: :bargaining: :depression: depression will certainly stick around a while before i get to acceptance. i was so, so proud. and now i am so, so down. i very well may puke before the night is over.
Oh, dude, I totally feel your pain! I hope sharing it was cathertic, and that it's the worst brewing mishap you ever have.

FWIW, your story telling had me, hook, line and sinker. Totally didn't see that coming, and actually yelled out loud when I read it.

Whoa, so sorry for your loss. At least the biggest chunk of your investment was in the bottles, which you can still use.

Is 1 Step non-toxic? If so, I would try a bottle... I wouldnt pass it out no matter how acceptable it is, but I would still take a taste myself.

Im so sorry that happened, that blows big time. You can still get some Christmas beers out though! And you definitely should. My favorite part about brewing is passing out beers for events, gifts, etc. Dont let this get you down, we all have had some stupid mistakes along the way, and for what it is worth, it never stops. Even the most experienced brewers have their "OMFG, WHAT DID I JUST DO?!??" moments.

No...... Wouldn't even consider it....... recommended dilution 1 tsp per gallon....

Safety Contains sodium carbonate. May cause eye irritation and may be harmful if swallowed.
First Aid Wash skin that has contacted material with water. In case of eye contact, rinse under cool running water; seek medical attention if irritation persists after 15 minutes of flushing. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting; drink milk or water to dilute and call a physician.

Very sad:( The good side is that you discovered your mistake now and not as all of your friends begin telling you what horrible beer you make!

This is what makes us better brewers. It makes you pay closer attention to every little step.

Your next one will be very nice!

No No No!!! this is a wonderful plan!!! Give it out to all your friends. Then they will NEVER ask you for your "free" home brew!!! Just think how much money you'll save over the next 20 years. In fact, I"m going to the brew cave right now to bottle up some dirty dish water. SHOPPING DONE!!!

I was hopeful at one point in the story -- thought maybe you had added hot water with no sugar -- a relatively easy fix.

I was totally thinking this as well, and figured everyone had already swept in to the rescue. Of course it would happen on a special, time-sensitive batch like this. Really sorry OP. :(

Ouch..... So Sorry.... How much One-Step was in the sample bag?

Edit: Never mind..... it was too much! If you look at the bright side (yeah...I know)... the biggest expense was the flip top bottles. If it were me I would buy a good All Grain Holiday Beer kit for $40 and maybe add a little extra hop or spice to doll it up with..... you've got 3 weeks to get it into bottles... Just tell them to age their Christmas present for a month or two before enjoying!

i think it was a 8 oz bag. my lhbs sells premeasured bags of sugar that i think are 5 oz and i think they must have looked close in size. i dont make all grain beer yet. but i thought i was getting better at brewing, except this fook up.

Oh, dude, I totally feel your pain! I hope sharing it was cathertic, and that it's the worst brewing mishap you ever have.

yeah , ha. i was a bit tipsy when i wrote that. had to drink a few after that. this website is so cool thanks for everyone being nice. i wasnt even going to tell anyone i was so embarrassed and SO MAD! i guess i'm a *little* bit better today. i am still so bummed out. i really think i do a very good job at brewing for someone so new. i have a friend who has taught me but i did this batch by myself and i think it was a pretty complicated one for a newbie like me and i wanted to make something really special for christmas presents. i am still so sad.

well my 3rd batch is just an amber ale, but its ready to bottle next weekend. im just going to use that for my gifts, but its a bummer because that was going to be my drinking beer! the Dickens Strong Christmas Ale was something special. my friends will still like amber ale, it's just not the same. not the same. i feel like the heart and soul that i poured into that batch are also now getting dumpped.

i seriously thought i was so careful at everything. my sanitization is the tops! and i'm careful with all the steps and i read this website a lot so i know what all the steps mean and what to do. and how to time everything. i dont follow the instructions from my lhbs kits. i read here, and listen to podcasts to find out the BETTER way to to these things. i guess i thought i was doing so good at brewing that i got careless. damn i hate to say lesson learned. damn damn damn! i'm going to be a very very good brewer one day and very soon too. i spend hours on this website and i listen to brewing network and basic brewing, and i read books and THIS WEBSITE is so GOOD. I WILL BE A MASTER BREWER.

thanks to everyone on this website. a real nice bunch of people. seriously, thanks for letting me air.

Well don't get too down on yourself. Things like this happen sometimes. For your next batch brew up a nice RIS or something. By next year it will have aged nicely!

Damn that sucks... I'll pour a sip on the curb for your lost batch....

At least the bottles are still good.

If you haven't dumped the strong ale yet you could take a picture of yourself crying and dumping each bottle to include as a gag with your amber beers.

Really sorry to hear about the beer dude

Sounds weird, but I use a checklist and it really helps once you get a routine going. I've never (knock on wood) did something like OP, for me it's usually forgeting to pitch the yeast and sometimes forgeting to add an ingredient. Routine and checklists.

Many mistakes, some not so tragic. I have now gone through the trouble of actually writing protocols for all my brewing processes. This has forced me to think through all the processes and gives me guidelines for organizing equipment, ingredients, etc. and reminders for calibrating my pH meter, testing my sanitizer for freshness and all that other mundane crap.

I sanity check my processes by having my wife step through the protocol, if she can set it up (she's not a brewer), then it is clear enough.

Wow that sucks man but it makes a really great story. I would brew this again next year for your friends and then you can say FU to your lost batch.

When I first started brewing, I'd measure each ingredient and place it in order on the kitchen table. Brew from left to right.

I still do this. I have never forgotten an ingredient, switched the hop additions or anything similar. I guess I am one of the few, who after brewing for about 3 1/2 years has never made a serious mistake. Knock on wood.....

OP: Look at some recipes, maybe you can add something to make the amber ale something special.

Northern Brewer's HOPQUILA ROBUSTO DOUBLE IPA comes to mind.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/HopquilaDIPA.pdf

Maybe you can dry hop and add some Tequila and make something very different.

I am going to make a version of this at some point.

This really is such a sad thread.

On a side note...what's the recipe for that Christmas Ale?

I believe that's just for the book. Then the book has to be purchased for the recipe. I'm looking for just that one recipe.

It opened in Google Books for me, and I was able to hyperlink to the recipe. :shrug:

I believe that's just for the book. Then the book has to be purchased for the recipe. I'm looking for just that one recipe.

Actually, if you follow the OP's link it'll take you to the Google books online version and then you can click the link in the index to go straight to that page. Or you can just scroll through the entire book if you'd like. Dickens Strong Christmas Ale is on page 153. Gotta' love Google. ;)

That recipe actually looks really good! Might have to try and convert it to all-grain.

Edit: ^^^ what he said.

Dang that blows! So sorry. I did forget to add the sugar to my boiling water one time, but caught it just before I started to transfer the beer to the bottling bucket.

Also did something similar making chili, grabbed the Cayenne instead of the Chili powder....had to triple the batch of chili to dilute it and it was still hot as hell! :D

Okay got it.

What is strange to me is that after the boil to steep the oranges for an additional 30 minutes.

Back