The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > super low alcohol beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A beer cut with Sprite (aka lemonade in England) is called a shandy. They come in two varieties, bitter shandy and lager shandy.

Funny story: when back visiting family in England last year, my dear SWMBO thought people were asking for a 'bit of shandy'.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
muthafuggle
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
Six responses and no one bashing you for wanting to give your kids beer! Love this forum

Not sure how old they are, but would they not suffice with the occasional sip? That's all I got when I was young, but I also hated beer because my dad didn't drink the good stuff back then.
I'm more surprised no-one has bashed you for even TRYING to make beer with low alcohol.

It's pretty easy to make an american wheat beer with less than 4% alcohol that still tastes pretty good (I live in Utah, where all the store bought beer is under 4%). Give them a bit of that "shandy" as a treat and I think you should have budding alcoholics in no time.

I keed, I keed.

I think instilling healthy attitudes about alcohol at an early age is a good thing. Parental teaching opportunity!

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
Babylon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
Six responses and no one bashing you for wanting to give your kids beer! Love this forum

Not sure how old they are, but would they not suffice with the occasional sip? That's all I got when I was young, but I also hated beer because my dad didn't drink the good stuff back then.
My dad has always drunk the good stuff, but I didn't like beer as a kid. Children's palates are more sensitive, so the bitterness of hops tends to be overwhelming for them. Of course the fact my dad favored IPA's made that even more so.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
gplutt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I seem to remember reading about "kinder bier", a kid's beer in Germany. I don't remember anything else but that might be worth a search.
http://www.germandeli.com/4004591065048.html

I've had this before, its not bad...too sweet for me. Probably perfect for a kid!

Tastes like Munich malt with a bit of Hallertauer.

Kegged: Stout

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

Old 04-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
michael_aussie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wasn't intending to put anywhere near the initial charge of sugar. Just enough to get the yeast started.
I understand that if the primary isn't finished when you bottle then bottle bombs are just around the corner. I was thinking of all but cutting out the primary fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthafuggle View Post
I'm more surprised no-one has bashed you for even TRYING to make beer with low alcohol.
lol ..... I agree, but it IS for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthafuggle View Post
Give them a bit of that "shandy" as a treat and I think you should have budding alcoholics in no time. I keed, I keed.
I think instilling healthy attitudes about alcohol at an early age is a good thing. Parental teaching opportunity!
I have three boys. The eldest doesn't like soft-drink (soda) or beer. The other two (10 and 7) love soft-drink and beer. They will "steal" a couple of large gulps when they get a beer from the fridge for my wife or I. I love dark beers as well as most other beers except bitters. The kids love then all.

They also love to help me bottle the home brew.

I want to reward them (give them the chance to make their own tasty drink) but obviously are concerned about alcohol. I also think this is a responsible way to introduce them to alcohol. That is why I was hoping to make very low alcohol beer (less that 1%, even as low as 0.5%).

Shandies aren't what I had in mind. I was hoping for a decent tasting beer with little or no alcohol.

Thank you for your feed-back so far.

Last edited by michael_aussie; 04-30-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_aussie View Post
That is why I was hoping to make very low alcohol beer (less that 1%, even as low as 0.5%)
ah, what you are looking for is a "near-beer" recipe. back in the 1920's(in america) a lot of breweries switched to brewing these to be able to stay in some kind of business. if i remember correctly, you partigyle a mash into 3 batches: a strong beer, a "normal" beer and a weak "nearbeer". If i can find sauce later when I get to work i'll edit

edit:
found something-
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/noob...ar-beer-80471/

Last edited by FreeM80s; 04-30-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #17
michael_aussie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewing day came and I had to make a call. So I have used the Brigalow larger that came with my first kit. I never intended to use it anyway so if it turns out crap I have only wasted my time. I have added 150grams of Coopers Brewing sugar and set it up as per a normal brew (23 litres of water and a packet of yeast).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #18
Omega8c
Recipes 

Default Low Alchol Beer

I was just making a beer from a kit ..

In the instructions, this beer actually states, to make a lower alcohol content beer add 1lbs of sugar instead of 2.2lbs of sugar .. according to the instructions this will yield a beer, apx 20% lower in alcohol content .. so that being said ..

so that being said, if i were you, i would add apx 1/2lb sugar if your making it from a kit .. it will still have an alcohol content .. but id guess around the 2 - 2.5% range

if you allowed your children to drink that in moderation .. that wouldn't be so bad .. and could be a good learning tool ..

i personally love a cold beer, a homebrew low or no alchol content .. that accually had flavor would be great, even for us adults .. being able to have a cold beer @ lunch at work .. w/ the taste but not the alchol ..

albeit not as fun, but we can still have the "real" stuff handy too

Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #19
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor57 View Post
I was told by a German guy that they cut beers with sprite, for kids.
One of the bar tender ladies in Böblingen was trying to get us to try a rattler which was sprite-beer. One of my buddies who wasn't a beer drinker took to it pretty well. I tried one and it wasn't bad.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #20
DaveMcPhee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I seem to remember reading about "kinder bier", a kid's beer in Germany. I don't remember anything else but that might be worth a search.
There's a few, but this is the market leader, and it's freaking delicious, nothing like beer though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamalz

My name is actually Alex I'm just really paranoid

Quick Reply