Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > suggestions for second brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
madchemist83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
This guy looks like a troll - ignore this.

I would second the wheat as a good choice for this batch or the next, you will be able to drink it sooner than many styles. As far as the stout, it's actually easy to do a dry stout with extract and steeping roasted barley. Oats I think need to be mashed to get their full character and convert their starches.

Your cooling set up sounds like a basic swamp cooler. As was mentioned you should be able to achieve appropriate ale temps pretty well with this and swapping out the water bottles.

Welcome to the hobby!
Oats are actually the only grain that has beta-globulin that's easily dissolved. Talking about trolls ... Don't call someone a troll when u troll urself..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just brewed my second batch this past weekend and I went with the "None More Black" vanilla stout. Mashed my own grain, steeped in the oven, had a good time. Right now it's happily bubbling away in the basement. Looking forward to racking it to secondary with some vanilla beans.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
mjmac85
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

At the moment don't really have a favorite. I find that the more I try the more I like certain ones of every type.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

I've got the Northern Brewer Broken Spear Bitter kit sitting on my table ready for my next brew day.

It looks to be a super simple kit. Doesn't even recommend a secondary in the instructions. Extract with specialty grains. 2 ounces of hops.

And it feels cool to be doing a limited edition kit.

It may not be on the opposite end of the spectrum from your IPA first batch, but it is certainly a different style.

Quick Reply