Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Suggestions for my next brew, again...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default Suggestions for my next brew, again...

Looking for some ideas again - but I'm a little more focused this time around... It's about time to get another brew started, as evidenced by the fact that SWMBO asked me last night what I'll be doing next - her subtle hint to get moving!

Anyway, we've both tried a few beers lately that were hoppier than those we've enjoyed in the past; in each case they were fairly easy on the bittering hops, but heavier on the flavoring hops. One example was a BBC Cabin Fever - BBC says it's only 20 IBU's, but uses (IIRC) Tattenanger hops to produce a nice citrusy flavor. I just had a raging bitch last night - really nice beer, only 60 IBU's, but lots of flavor to it - and I think the belgian yeast gave it a nice profile to back up the hops too.

So, I'm looking for suggestions along either of these lines. I'll be brewing from extract, so keep that in mind. But I'm thinking something along the lines of an amber with a nice hop profile - definitely not over the top on the bitterness, but I also don't want to get too carried away with the flavoring hops either. Also, I'm not equipped yet for lagers around this time of year, so those will have to wait. I'm open to suggestions of specific kits with tweaks or full-on recipes - I'll be poring through the recipes side of this site in the meantime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
lostboysbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Austin Homebrew Supply has a great list of recipe packs. Alot of different Amber ale recipes. I have been pleased with everything I have gotten from them.

www.austinhomebrewsupply.com

Planning:Shadow Chaser Amber, ARRRR P.A., Oktoberfest (Yeast tests)
Primary:
Secondary:
Lagering:
Bottled/Kegged:Hook's Revenge 18.7% IIPA, Cinnamon Witbier, Blueberry Witbier

Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've always been a big fan of Fat Tire. I've made a clone of it a few months ago, but added some extra hops to give it that extra kick. Not to mention, I bumped up the abv an extra 1.5%

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
justinakajuice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Everyone I gave an "AK-47" to loved it. I thought it was okay. I got that one from NB.

Slowly working up to 4 beers on tap of my newly built keezer.

Bucket-American Wheat
Kegged-Brown Ale
Next Kits-Breakfast Stout, Dunkel

Old 04-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
kgraber
Recipes 

I strongly recommend try the West Coast Pale Ale from Austin Home Brew. I cut the bittering hops in half and that gave me 28 IBU's. Just enough bitter for my tastes. It also has great flavor. It's been my favorite so far.

Quick Reply