Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > suggestions for my next batch...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Number68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default suggestions for my next batch...(temperature concerns)

I haven't been able to make a batch in almost a year now between moving, school, work, too hot, etc. the house I'm in right now doesn't really have air conditioning where i'd be letting the wort ferment, it runs an average of roughly 72*F (sometimes a bit more, and rediculously humid, so swamp cooler won't really be effective) and was just wondering what I can make with the ambient temp high like this

hoping to make some sort of an IPA if that makes a difference

TIA!

_Dave_
Basement Mosh Home Brewing Co
Pondering: raspberry whit
Fermenting: Shiver and Spice winter ale
Bottled: Nada
Drinking: 3 year aged apfelwein

Last edited by Number68; 09-22-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Number68
Recipes 

was just doing some research, seems as though a couple belgian ale yeast strains can work with higher temps...

perhaps this recipe?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/my-wit-ass-belgian-wit-137143/

the wyeast 3944 has a temperature range of 62-75*F, maybe if I keep a fan going or something I could pull this one off, especially with winter coming soon

_Dave_

Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
Legin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Yup. Belgians. Although they advise keeping the temps below 75, I have fermented in the low 80s for some of mine. Adds character. That recipe is not bad, but a little complex. You might be able to find one that is really simple. I like allowing the yeast to provide most the flavor. And if you are fermenting on the hotter temps, yours certainly will.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
cravej
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I put my fermentor in an oil pan with water in it, with a t-shirt to wick up the water and a fan to evaporate it. It lowered the fermentation temperature by about six degrees.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #5
Number68
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legin View Post
Yup. Belgians. Although they advise keeping the temps below 75, I have fermented in the low 80s for some of mine. Adds character. That recipe is not bad, but a little complex. You might be able to find one that is really simple. I like allowing the yeast to provide most the flavor. And if you are fermenting on the hotter temps, yours certainly will.
thanks, i'll look around for a slightly simpler recipe, haven't had a good belgian in a while, so this'll certainly be an experience

_Dave_

Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
robbyg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You could also try a beer based around White Labs WLP862 (Cry Havoc). It's a hearty strain that can be used to brew either ales or lagers.

That having been said, I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm considering using it in a couple of my upcoming brews.

Enjoying: Stout, Apfelwein, American Amber, Cream Ale, Blonde Ale, Sweet Mead

See My Kegerator Build

Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
PirateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another trick similar to what cravej mentioned is wrapping your fermenter with a towel soaked in cold water (maybe twice a day...once in the morning, once in the evening). It may be a bit of a hassle but it's a good way to have some control over the fermenting temp

Also, I brewed an Imperial Pale Ale back in July and the DC summer was a beast (near 100's almost every day and VERY humid) and my beer turned out fine. I don't have A/C but I left my beer to ferment in the basement in a cool, dark place and it worked out well. You definitely have lots of options!

Quick Reply