Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Suggestions on my First Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Pi Kapp Beer Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Suggestions on my First Batch

Ok so i did a lot of research on the topic of beer brewing and quite frankly i spent more time researching it than i have my five years of college combined. Anyway i have bottled my first batch and after a week and a half time i am currently drinking it. Now to my friends i am damn near god like for creating a drinkable beer. However it is not to my expectations. It lacks.....whats that word? Taste. I have a beautiful golden beverage with little carbonation and truthfully it taste like water downed beer and not even as good as a crappy corona. SO here it is i tried to make an an American pale ale. My first mistake is i commited a cardnal brewing sin an did not check the OG. With that being said why check the FG. I was rushed by friends but i opened three slammed them and can tell there is alcohol present. All i used was extracts so maybe that explains the lack of taste. Its like the initial taste is good followed by a watery after taste. Any suggestions? My initial gaol was to create a drinkable beer to experiment with so where should i go from here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Don't drink any more. A week and a half is not enough time. The general rule for carbonation is three weeks at 70+ degrees. Let it sit for a while. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At LEAST 3 WEEKS to carbonate and have drinkable beer. Every brew will get better from here- wouldn't you like to go back and show your first special lady friend what you have learned over the years? Brewing is the same way.

[I'm back!]

Old 05-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Tankard
Recipes 

I just learned this the hard way. My beer after a week and half was not very good at all. It did not have the taste I expected. I am a few days away from 3 weeks and I had one tonight.... what a world of difference. It has a nice, strong, bold flavor and a nice hoppy aftertaste. Classic red ale style. I'm loving it now, and I'm sure it will only get better with more time.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Fusorfodder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did the same with my first beer and tried a bottle a week after. Low carbonation, weak and watery flavor with no body. 2 weeks later the beer was one of the tastiest brown ales I had ever enjoyed. As hard as it is, patience goes a looooooong way in this hobby. Give it a bit more time and I'm sure you'll be loving it.

Primary - Beer
Primary - More Beer
Secondary - Still More Beer
Kegged - Yet More Beer
Planning - A Bunch of Beer and some mead

I always forget to update this thing, so the above should in general hold true.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It lacks because you openned them after a week and a half!!!!! They're green and not fully carbed....You must have missed the part about bottle conditioning in your "research."

read this and watch the video...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

It has nothing to do with using extracts...or anything else. Just impatience.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What were your ingredients/process if i may ask? i might be able to get a "rough" estimate.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Quick Reply