Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Suggestions for first batch? Time constraints

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
HB_Aggie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Suggestions for first batch? Time constraints

So I'm picking up my starting kit form a LHBS in a week or two, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to brew first. I prefer darker and heavier beers but I'm under a slight time constraint. I would be able to brew no earlier than May 4th and it would need to be bottled by May 23rd. I was thinking about a cream ale but I'm not sure if there are other beers with quick fermentation times. I would prefer not to have to rush it, but if I don't do it by the 23rd, it'll be months before I can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 18

A Cream ale should be ready in that time frame(although you are right to not want to rush it),so would an Irish Red or most low to medium gravity beers. Good luck and let us know.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

That's 19 days. You can do about any medium to low gravity beer in that amount of time if you can control your fermentation temperatures. I do let some of my beer sit longer in the fermenter but most don't really need it. A high gravity beer needs longer because the yeast slow as the alcohol level goes up.

Try to keep the temperature near the low end of the yeast's preferred range. For most ales that would be in the low to mid 60's. When the ferment slows, usually 4 to 5 days, you can encourage the yeast to speed up by letting the fermenter warm up into the low 70's.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Even letting it warm up to 68-70F is good to be sure the yeast finishes in the recipe's stated FG range. 19 days may be enough,but pushing the average fermentation to hit FG & clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty.
Wheat beer or cream ale should get it done in that time frame.

Quick Reply