Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Suggest a good summer recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Cambriel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Suggest a good summer recipe?

Hi all,

I'm browsing around looking for something that sounds good as a nice summer recipe. It's nearly pool season, and I'm expecting folks to start swinging by my place expecting cool water and thirst quenching beer in the near future.

I'm thinking something like a Sierra Nevada or Dos Equis type beer but not finding too many recipes along those lines. I'd go for a good lager, but it's so warm in Georgia that it's not feasible right now, plus it wouldn't be done until nearly the end of summer. I'd like something that could be drinkable by say, late May.

Any suggestions? A pointer to a recipe would be awesome; I'm not really clever enough to formulate one myself. Oh, and I'd be aiming for an extract/partial mash. Don't have the gear for all-grain yet.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
bkirkland
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

La Chouffe.. i did this one last wk...
extract recipe online or hit me up...

brew well ;>)

Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Cambriel
Recipes 

Hm, an 8% ABV beer might cause problems the way my friends drink off our kegs. I'll set that one aside as something to try when I get my new tap lines run though.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Oh, let's see. I really like a couple of recipes for summer. Dos Equis is a Vienna-style lager, so you won't be able to pull that off.

I think a couple of Biermuncher's recipes, especially the Cream of Three Crops or the Centennial blonde, would be perfect. I made a cream ale, similar to his three crops recipe, for a party coming up in mid- June. You could make it 4-5% ABV and have an easy drinker.

Any light hybrid would probably work. Check out our recipe database in that category. I'm not a wheat beer fan, but if you like them, those are easy and would be nice to have on hand.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Cambriel
Recipes 

Cream of Three Crops sounds great, but is there an extract equivalent? Searching the forums returns a very long thread starting with an AG. Can't quite manage that yet.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
bkirkland
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

get beersmith software.... life saver.

brew well ;>)

Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Well, how about something like this for Biermunchers Cream of three crops:

3 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 53.85 %
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15.38 %

0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 9.4 IBU

You could put the grain together, and mash (steep) it in a grain bag in your pot in about 3 quarts of water at 150ish for 45 minutes. Then lift the grain bag up in a colander, and pour 170 degree water over the grains to "rinse" it. Bring it up to your boil volume (three gallons total), and bring it to a boil. Add the hops. Add the DME and corn sugar with 15 minutes left in the boil (take it off the heat to add it, stir well, and put back on the burner).

You could use any clean, well attenuating ale yeast like S05 or nottingham for dry, WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 for liquid. Ferment on the cool side, like in the low 60s, for the most "clean" taste.

If you want, you could sub the hops without any issue at all. You could use all willamette, all crystal, or German hops like Tettnanger, or any noble hops actually.

That should be a reasonable facsimile of Biermuncher's recipe. If you happen to do this, make sure you report back so we can add an extract recipe to his LONG thread!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Cambriel
Recipes 

edit: Welp, I got brave. I was all set to pick up the stuff for the extract version above when I decided what the hell, I'll try making the jump to all-grain. I'm going to be going with Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde as a first try, since it gets such great reviews and seems very simple.

Just gotta finish up my mash tun tonight, and I think I'll be pretty much good to go!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Wow Cambriel, you went from looking for an extract brew to jumping into All-Grain! congrats!!! now you just built a mash tun, do you have the capacity to do a full boil? its a pretty steep downhill slide into AG madness... enjoy the ride!!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
Cambriel
Recipes 

For a five gallon batch, yes. I've got a 6 gallon pot, so I should be able to manage that.

The mash tun is pretty much done, I've just got a leak to fix near the ball valve (the plastic cracked when I was removing the original stopper). A couple rubber washers and a little plumber's putty should do the trick.

This isn't really an appropriate thread for it, but I'm going to have to work out a way of heating adequate amounts of sparge water. I'm fairly certain I can reuse the same pot and set the water aside in a second cooler. Too much money is tied up in my keezer build right now to be looking for another boil vessel. Wish the local pub would have come through with those extra kegs.

Honestly, I was planning for this soon anyway. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right?

Quick Reply