Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sugar Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
akatsilometes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sugar Question

Hello everyone. I am on my first batch and had a question. I was going to bottle last weekend, but the batch still needed to settle a little more. In the process I mixed the sugar and water together for the bottling. Since I didn't bottle last week, I saved the mix in a kerr jar. My question is can I reboil the mixture and add it tomorrow to bottle my beer and get the same carbonation? It has been sitting in the Kerr for a week now. Thanks!

Kats

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsilometes View Post
Hello everyone. I am on my first batch and had a question. I was going to bottle last weekend, but the batch still needed to settle a little more. In the process I mixed the sugar and water together for the bottling. Since I didn't bottle last week, I saved the mix in a kerr jar. My question is can I reboil the mixture and add it tomorrow to bottle my beer and get the same carbonation? It has been sitting in the Kerr for a week now. Thanks!

Kats
I suppose you COULD do that. Doing a quick boil of the solution will ensure it is sterile enough.

Personally, I'd probably just boil some more water, measure out the required amount of sugar, using plain old cane sugar, mix, cool and prime the batch.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
ByramMike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsilometes View Post

Kats
I think you're good to go... reboil that solution for sure. Question for you... whats a kerr jar?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
BrewerE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByramMike View Post
I think you're good to go... reboil that solution for sure. Question for you... whats a kerr jar?
Brand name for a mason jar (like Ball)

http://www.coastalfarm.com/images/Kerr_Wide_Mouth_Jar_Quart_Sized_Case_of_12_with_Da ted_Storage_Labels.jpg

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
ByramMike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerE View Post
Ah... thanks! Much appreciated.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1947 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

As long as it was sealed up,I think it's ok to heat it up again. But don't boil it for a long time or anything. Pasteurization happens about 162F,so just a minute or so is fine. It actually takes only a few seconds they claim. But a minute or two will do it.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
akatsilometes
Recipes 

Hey Guys....

Just a quick update. The beer did carbonate well and was mighty tasty for my first time doing it! Thanks again for the help. I'm going on my 4th batch now. Damn this stuff is fun!

Kats

Quick Reply