Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > sugar for double ipa?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
zodiak3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default sugar for double ipa?

i was listening to the brewing networks jamil show and heard them say its a must to add sugar to a high gravity beer like a DIPA (according to a pliny recipe). they said something about it drying the beer out nicely. so my questions- how much to add for a 8-9%abv beer? when do you add this during the boil? what would be the difference if i didnt add the sugar? would adding carapils effect this in any way with the sugar? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sugar helps dry out a big beer that would otherwise be too sweet. I would avoid too much carapils in a DIPA as it adds dextrins to the wort which are not fermentable and will remain in the beer. Doesn't really matter that much when you add it. I typically do it in the last 15 minutes of the boil, or during the actual ferment. 5-10% of the fermentables is a good starting amount for the sugar.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While it does tend to dry beer out, sugar is not necessary for a good, dry double IPA. If you mash at a low temp (148ish) and use plenty of healthy yeast, you can create a very nice DIPA that is not too sweet. If you want to add sugar, a pound or so in 5 gallons would be appropriate.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Bert1097
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_O_Turbo View Post
While it does tend to dry beer out, sugar is not necessary for a good, dry double IPA. If you mash at a low temp (148ish) and use plenty of healthy yeast, you can create a very nice DIPA that is not too sweet. If you want to add sugar, a pound or so in 5 gallons would be appropriate.
Ya, I think for an extract brewer the sugar is a more appropriate addition than for the typical AG brewer.

Quick Reply