New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
jakwhite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sugar

Just been to my local hbs to get some sugar he only has packs of standard sugar not brewing sugar, does it matter? Like majorly would you guys recommend me going a lil out my way to the other shop to get some brewing sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Depends on what you need it for. Most of the time plain sugar is fine for things. Other times we use darker, more unrefined sugars because they have flavors. Some are made from other sugars such and palm or coconut.....Some folks use Belgian sugars, but those really are just standard table sugars boiled to various degrees of caramalization. We also sometimes use corn sugar...to prime with, for example, but even then table sugar works perfectly fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

All true. I even use demerara sugar (raw cane) for the light brown sugar laced with honey for EB's & the like. One time,I was low on dextrose (corn sugar),& made up the difference on the scale with table sugar. Worked just fine for priming the batch. Priming can be pretty much run watcha brung. Just the amounts needed vary depending on what type of sugar or DME is being used. I use tastybrew's priming calculator myself to get the right amounts of what type I'm using.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you're using the sugar for priming, it's not a big deal. By brewing sugar I assume you mean dextrose or corn sugar. Table sugar (sucrose) has a little more energy than dextrose, so you typically use less table sugar than dextrose for priming. This priming calculator might give you an idea: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/.

I do find it a little odd that your LHBS doesn't carry dextrose.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

What particular sugar were you trying to get? Is it for priming or in your recipe,what style? If its priming sugar,dont even bother making a trip.If its a big belgian recipe that may be different but I personally probably wouldnt go out of my way for it, Id maybe try a good honey or light brown sugar or a good tasting sugar you like. A key to making a beer recipe the way its intended is sticking with the exact ingreadience although sometimes the outcome could be better or not as good as well,it just may be a little different and probably minor. Subbing a recipe certainly works but may get different results.
If your trying to boost the gravity,stick with more malt(dme or lme) with a small(or more) amount of hops. Those boosters or brewing sugar packs I think are dextros with a small amount of maltodextrin. It works but people seem to preferr malt extract,unless you want a little dryer thinner body with sugar depending how much you use.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
jakwhite
Recipes 

Well I'm doing a British ale next I'm going to get some brewing sugar as with my last one I experimented and it was awful

Also I've read the instructions and I need the water to be a certain temp, so hopefully the bigger shop where I get my sugar from will have floating thermometers

Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

if you are talking about using dextrose, or brewing sugar, I use table sugar for bottle priming all the time and never have a problem with that.

if you are talking about any other usage, like in the actual recipe, don't know

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Any kind of sugar used for priming can be used in the recipe. That's the fun part,with so many sugars from around the world out there.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Any kind of sugar used for priming can be used in the recipe. That's the fun part,with so many sugars from around the world out there.
Yeah, but if you sub in table sugar in place of dark candi sugar, you will get a hugely different result.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah,forgot that being the exception. Got brew day on my mind,heating mash water now.

Quick Reply