Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Such a thing as too much headroom?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
GameReaper88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Such a thing as too much headroom?

I am going to be experimenting a bit, and I am only looking to make maybe 1-2 gallon batches with said experiments (no use in wasting a full batch if its going to come out crummy anyhow)

Anyway, I only have 6.5 gallon fermenter/carboys and I was wondering if there can be too much headroom?

Turns out the Beer Drinking Gene never skipped a generation but the Beer Making Gene skipped two and landed on me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2112 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Well,the co2 formed during fermentation is a heavier gas than o2,so it might be ok. But I'd rather get one of those 2 or 3 gallon fermenters. Seems to me Midwest has them.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
ghank15
Recipes 

I'm no expert, but I have brewed 2 smaller batches(both, amusingly, due to user error). Both batches ended up being between 2.5 and 3 gallons, and being that I only have 5 gallon fermenters, I went ahead and used them. The beers turned out fine.

I honestly didn't even think to ask this question. I am curious as to whether or not this would have any ill effects.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

For making 2-3 gallon sized batches you can easliy buy a few food grade buckets from your local bakery. These have frosting in them and can easily be used with the same lids as your 6.5 size gallon fermentors. Walmart also sells 5 gallon food grade buckets in their paint department for $2.59. Lids are usually $1.09. These hold a maximum volume of 5 gallons and I use them for 2-3.5 gallon sized brews to experiment with. Never had a problem with them. These would rduce the amount of head space as well as give you a few extra fermenting options for little money invested. I have bought some of the pastry buckets from local bakeries in grocery stores and used them well.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 06-06-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Home Depot has 2 gallon white plastic buckets and covers in the paint dept. I'll be trying my first 1 gallon batch on thursday in it.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I *think* it's okay to have headspace during primary because a lot of CO2 is being pushed out during a lot of the time. But I have heard headspace is a possible problem during secondary.

Also, as I'm thinking about it, when I do a 5 gallon batch in the primary bucket, it's a 6.5 gallon container, and there's a lot of headspace there too.

Of course, advocating a smaller container is a good idea anyway because it's cheap and frees up your larger fermenter for another brew.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
GameReaper88
Recipes 

I suppose in an experimental batch being only 1 gallon 1.5 gallons... 2 maybe at most, if I would worry about a secondary at all.
Is it really necessary with decent filtration?
I suppose yes for clarity. But on the other hand how important is clarity when you wouldnt want to bother with the mess of a secondary just for an experimental brew.
Paradox!

Turns out the Beer Drinking Gene never skipped a generation but the Beer Making Gene skipped two and landed on me.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameReaper88 View Post
I am wondering if there can be too much headroom?
Not on day FOUR!

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
musick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameReaper88 View Post
I am going to be experimenting a bit, and I am only looking to make maybe 1-2 gallon batches....
Just a thought from a glass snob...

My friend uses 1g wine jugs he got from his neighbors. Fit a bung into the neck and they are mini carboys. All the benefits of glass at no cost. Even if you had to buy them full/new, I dont think they cost a whole lot.

A half dozen and your experiments are off and running.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #10
GameReaper88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
Just a thought from a glass snob...

My friend uses 1g wine jugs he got from his neighbors. Fit a bung into the neck and they are mini carboys. All the benefits of glass at no cost. Even if you had to buy them full/new, I dont think they cost a whole lot.

A half dozen and your experiments are off and running.

You are very correct, I nearly forgot about those 1 gallon jugs of 10 dollar wine.
At the cost for a 6.5 gallon glass carboy the gallon jug and the wine is well worth the 10 dollars.

Quick Reply