Successful first all-grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubjectB

Reaction score
My first all-grain batch was a success and is, so far, the most popular among my friends and family. I encountered a few challenges, but thanks to the valuable resource that is Home Brew Talk, I was able to address them without panicking.

ag_wit-61849.jpg

It is a Belgian Wit. Simple recipe: 50/50 pilsner and flaked wheat, 1 lbs. of honey, 1/4 oz. Hersbrucker, WLP400 and 5 tbsp. coriander powder. I didn't have bitter orange peel, so I used Kaffir lime, which we had in abundance. I guess, you can call it an Belgian Wit with an Asian twist.

As could be expected of a first all-grain brew I ran into a few issues. First, the mash got stuck. I couldn't fix it by mashing out because the Igloo mash tun was already filled to the brim. So, to lauter I had to scoop out the mash and strain the wort. Naturally, since I didn't sparge, the efficiency was terrible and I didn't hit the target gravity of 1.042. I proceeded with the boil anyway, thinking that the honey should provide extra gravity points. After the boil, I left it in the kettle to chill overnight (I know this method still manages to raise eyebrows, but until you've tried it, don't knock it. I've done it for 5 batches now with NO discernible ill effects on the finished beer).

The next morning, I couldn't bring myself to dump the "un-sparged" grains and the sugars that might still be in them. But, by then it smelled of puke! However, I read on this forum that "souring" a mash is actually a technique used in some styles and could manifest into a dry, crisp profile in the finished beer. I decided to sparge the grains and boil the wort for an hour; cooled and combined it with the rest of the wort, then pitched the yeast.

For a week, it smelled of rotten eggs. I read here that that is "normal" for WLP400. I gave it three weeks to ferment because, again, I read here that this strain tends to be slow.

After two weeks of conditioning, I opened one. No rotten egg smell. Thick, creamy white head. Pleasant, sweet, slightly spicy aroma. The first taste immediately reminded me of Hoegaarden. Only a faint hint of tartness, though I'm not sure if that's from the Kaffir lime or the soured mash.

Anyway, all this writing is making me thirty. I think I'll go have another. Thanks to everyone who make this forum a valuable resource for brewing!

Congrats on the first AG brew!!! Its a step into a whole new world..
Stuck/plugged sparge is a PITA. I have most of my issues with this when I do my AG pumpkin beers in the late spring to be ready for fall.
I fix mine by putting a longer hose on the valve, raising it above the mash tun, opening the valve a bit and then blowing air back into the hose and then collecting some runnings (vorlauf) once or twice to be sure its not going to stick again and clear up the runnings.
Works about 90% of the time.
Great job and brew on brewer!

Looks good, I just bottle my first brew. Now I play the waiting game. I hope mine turns out like yours

Thanks everyone!

...Stuck/plugged sparge is a PITA...
I fix mine by putting a longer hose on the valve, raising it above the mash tun, opening the valve a bit and then blowing air back into the hose and then collecting some runnings (vorlauf) once or twice to be sure its not going to stick again and clear up the runnings.
Works about 90% of the time...

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Congrats, on to the next...build the pipeline!

Will do. In two to three weeks my all-grain Über-malty Honey Amber Ale should be ready to bottle and my partial-mashed Chocolate Stout is aging and should be ready in a month!

Looks good, I just bottle my first brew. Now I play the waiting game. I hope mine turns out like yours

Thanks! I'm still new at homebrewing myself, but I find that diligence and patience are duly rewarded in this pursuit. Just make sure everything is scrupulously sanitized, maintain temperatures, pitch enough yeasts and ye shall have good beer.

Back