Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Success from my un-carbed beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Scratch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Success from my un-carbed beer

I'm posting this for any newbies who may find themselves in the same situation I did. Back in June I bottled a basic "lager" style beer (though it wasn't really a lager) made from an LBS ingredients kit. After three weeks I tried a bottle and it tasted OK, but was flat. I tried another bottle after another few weeks, and then again the next month, and it was still flat. Not completely flat, but way, way undercarbed. I had used those carbing tabs and I guess I should have added one or two more tabs. I figured I would just dump it down the drain at some point when I needed the bottles.

Fast forward to December, the day before my big annual Christmas party. The beer had been in the bottle for six months. I decided to try one...and it was perfect! It was a long and slow process, but finally worked. I put out almost a case (I make half recipes) for the party, and it was a big hit. One of my guests asked where the homebrews were, and I said they were sitting out on the back steps. He said, "They don't need to be on the back steps, they need to be in ma' belly!"

Lesson: if your beer isn't right, you might as well set it aside and see what happens if you forget about it for a while.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Woot! Lessons all us newbies should read!

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've had the same experience. Back in the spring, I made a wheat beer, I batch primed, and bottled, and let them condition for almost a month. When I popped the first one, it had absolutely no carbonation. I figured it was a little cool where they conditioned in my basement, so I let them sit for another 2 weeks, but still after almost 6 weeks of conditioning, it was flat as could be. So, I forgot about them, they got set on a shelf in the basement and finally last week my well pump went so I was working in the basement and happened to look over and saw 5 six packs of dusty beer bottles under a tarp. I put a few in the fridge, popped one open last night, and the beer was amazing. Nice carbonation, excellent flavor. I was impressed. I wrote that batch off as my worst ever, but after giving it some time, it's turned out to be one of my best.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is always better to finish the beer, package it and forget about it than to dump it. The way I see it worst case a year from now it is truly horrible and I end up dumping it but most likely, at the very least, it will end up drinkable and if nothing else I learned something in the process.

Besides all the stories about brewing gone bad but ending up with good product should be enough to convince anyone that beer is pretty hard to mess up.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

awesome! yes let them sit and mature.... I find that the last few of each batch, the few that have been sitting around for a few months are always the best of the bunch. Probably a combo of aging and coming to maturity and sadness that the batch has been officially K.I.A lol

Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Great! And here I always thought the last to go were just trying to impress me so I would'nt knock them off too.Cheers

Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Yup, beer is just not listening to us, as much as we want it to. My 4.5% bitter took almost 2 months to carb up to 1.5 volumes, but my 9% Belgian Strong ale carbed up fully to 2.5 volumes in 2 weeks. Once again- it's done when it's done, and it doesn't care when you need it to be ready. Frustrating, but the truth. Our beer doesn't love us back, guys.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Gee, I think I've said a thing or two about this at one time or another (daily)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Gee, I think I've said a thing or two about this at one time or another (daily)
I don't remember that.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply