Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > stupid question with an easy answer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Funkmasterchilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stupid question with an easy answer

what does wit mean?? ex. cranberry wit ale. is it just a short way of saying wheat???

sorry i'm a newbie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It means white, actually.

Witbier is wheat beer, but not all wheat beer is witbier.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

WITBIER
Wit, or white, bier is a pale golden, tart, refreshing style thick with sediment and with a high level of carbon dioxide. With the pale malts, unmalted wheat and lack of filtration it's no surprise that it bares some resemblance to German HefeWiesse. The greatest different between Wit and its German cousin is the addition of spices, classically coriander and bitter Curacao orange peel.

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
Funkmasterchilly
Recipes 

Ok thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just since nobody's mentioned it, "wit" is the a Belgian style of wheat beer. Hoegaarden is the beer that's considered to have popularized the style recently.

Wits tend to be less fruity and more spicy than other common wheat styles. Unlike hefeweizens (in which the practice is far from universal, but is very old), wits are not traditionally served with a slice of lemon or orange in them. That said, thanks mainly to the influence of Blue Moon they are often seen with such garnish these days.

Allagash White is a pretty widely available and very highly regarded version of the style.

Blue Moon is an incredibly widely available version (it's made by Coors) that's passable and will at least give you an impression of how a wit differs from a hefeweizen (an originally German style typified by Paulaner or Weihenstaphaner) or an American pale wheat (e.g. Widmer Brothers or Pyramid hefeweizens, both of which are American wheats and not hefeweizens despite the name)

Go for an Allagash White if you can find it, though.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wit is Belgium for white.

Weizen is German for Wheat.

Weisse or weissen which is German for white.

Hefe - German for yeast, ergo, Hefe Weizen is a yeasty wheat beer, or a Weisbier.

These "white" beers are not really white. It's just relative that all beers prior to a pilsner (1842) were dark. So, these are "relatively" white in comparison.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2125 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

Huh. I thought that Wit meant, "Please sir, place a bit of fruit in my beer when you bring it to me." Because I can't order a Blue Moon without that happening! Of course my wife insists that I should remember to specify no fruit when I order, but I believe that the wait staff should ask before automatically assuming I'd want that crap in my beer!

Quick Reply