Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stupid Noob with a Stupid Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Dennis1979
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

As everyone said, boil more. That is if you have a big enough pot. I don't think you have to get the evap % exact. I would err on the small side. Too much wort would not be desired. Get close and if you boil slightly less, just have some pre-snaitized water ready to add to the fermenter to bring it up to 5 gallons.

I always boil and cool a gallon or two of water in advance.

My boil pot is not really big enough. I can comfortably get 4.5 to 5 gallons in there before evaporation but that's all. Recently I have been doing a late extract addition and adding my second half of extract in some boiling water at the last hop addition. This brings me back up a little but I always have to add some water to the fermenter.

Dennis

When the bottle gets empty, Lord, it sure ain't worth a damn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
Munsoned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The best way to know is to keep a log and figure out what YOUR boil off rate is on average, so that you can know ahead of time how to adjust for future batches. Everyone will have different rates based on the size/diameter of their pots, intensity of their boils, and other factors like elevation, etc. Again, best way to figure it out is to keep good notes. Also, you can always top off with water if you under shoot, and boil longer if you over shoot (but that can mess up the hops schedule if you're not paying attention). So, in my humble opinion, it seems better to undershoot until you have your own data to work with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply