Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stupid Noob with a Stupid Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
asbd2c
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stupid Noob with a Stupid Question

I am getting ready to start my second batch, since my first is in the secondary fermenter and about a week away from bottling. I noticed on my first batch that though I started out with 5 gallons of water in my full boil, I ended up with considerably less.

My question is whether I should be starting with 5 gallons of water or planning ahead so that I will end up with 5 gallons.

I'm not worried at the fact that I will end up with less bottles of beer. I am worried because when I racked it to the secondary, there was a significant amount of airspace left in the carboy.

I appreciate everyone's help. Although this is my first post, I have been soaking in so much from this site for the past month. You guys have been invaluable.

-Andy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you do full boils for 60 minutes, you will evaporate on average 1 gallon. Try to start with 6.25 gallons before you boil. Then you will finish with 5 gallons.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
heertsy
Recipes 

I think 6.25 might be a BIT too much. I usually start with 5.75 or 6 and after a 60 minute boil I still end up with a bit more than 5 gallons.

But to answer your question, YES, you need to start out with a bit more than 5 gallons.

You always CAN add water to get it back up to 5, but that is not advised and might mess with your temperature.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by heertsy
I think 6.25 might be a BIT too much. I usually start with 5.75 or 6 and after a 60 minute boil I still end up with a bit more than 5 gallons.
Yeah but you haven't seen EdWorts Banjo burner.

Start with 6+ gallons of preboil.

Adjust your boil intensity to get to 5.25 gallons of wort in the fermenter.

Plan on losing .25 +/- to trub and hydrometer samples.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:40 AM   #5
libs
Recipes 

their is no such thing as a stupid NOOB, but there are stupid questions (this isn't one)

Libs

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Drinking: Apfelwine
Bottle conditioning:
Secondary: Double Chocolate Stout
Primary #1: AHS imperial Amber
Primary #2:
planning: always more apfelwine, time to get some summer beer going!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:20 AM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by libs
their is no such thing as a stupid NOOB, but there are stupid questions (this isn't one)
I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Thalon

Recipes 

I've been able to boil off as little as 1/2 gal and as much as 1.5 gal starting from 6 gal by varying how vigorously I let it boil. If you keep it so it's just barely turning the surface over (have to stir it more with this method), you can keep the evaporation rate down to about 5%. But if you do a full-blown vigorous boil (my understanding is vigorous = better), you can push 15% evap rate. Beersmith software defaults to a 9% evap rate. Hope that helps.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't think 6.25 is too much I usually boil 7 gallons+ to get 5.5 gallons, its all trial and error, your system and elements are different than everyone else's, after a few more you'll dial it in. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Beer_Pirate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalon View Post
I've been able to boil off as little as 1/2 gal and as much as 1.5 gal starting from 6 gal by varying how vigorously I let it boil. If you keep it so it's just barely turning the surface over (have to stir it more with this method), you can keep the evaporation rate down to about 5%. But if you do a full-blown vigorous boil (my understanding is vigorous = better), you can push 15% evap rate. Beersmith software defaults to a 9% evap rate. Hope that helps.
I've been doing a bit of reading in George Fix's "Principles of Brewing Science," and it seems as though the real sweet spot in boiling is where you're boiling off around 7%. I don't know if that was 7%/hour or what, but i remember 7%

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Ben Franklin

"God put grapes on this Earth to make wine."
--My Dad

w00t cool old guys!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Ewalk02
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just finished my all electric rig and I "dialed" it in so that I'm burning off about 1.25 gal/hour. I'd start off with at least 6.25 gallons, back when I was using propane I was starting with 6.5 gallons to get a final 5 gallon batch.

Quick Reply