Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stupid burner question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Stupid burner question

Yea - I'm dangerous!!

Below is what I received for Christmas. I was surprised the hose to the propane go directly "into" the burner but is attached to the end of the "funnel".

So - where do I light it?? I ASSUME on top but since the instructions were amazingly vague I better risk looking completely dumb and ask experts.

The instructions basically say "hook it up and light it".

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Top-side.

Welcome to full volume boils!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Can I assume that the propane is meant to mix with O2? Just turn the propane on the mixing is automatic??

I've been doing two half boils my last 5 batches. Need a chiller now!! THEN I'm making a stove top mash tun. Slowly but surly.

I'm feeling a little cocky - four great batches in a row - time to step up the challenge!!

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

There are no stupid questions, only singed eyebrows!

Yup just hold the flame over the burner and turn on the gas. I recommend one of those long pointer type lighters.

Nice one! Have fun!

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Can I assume that the propane is meant to mix with O2? Just turn the propane on the mixing is automatic??
The propane feeds into the burner orifice (where the twisty part is), and you can adjust the mix by adjusting that piece. You want a clean burning flame (all blue), not orange and sooty.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post

I've been doing two half boils my last 5 batches. Need a chiller now!! THEN I'm making a stove top mash tun. Slowly but surly.

I'm feeling a little cocky - four great batches in a row - time to step up the challenge!!
There should be a plate (damper) with holes over the end of the "funnel" (as your described it) that turns. You can control the amount of air flow there. It just pulls it in.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yea got one of them for my clunker of a grill. My plan is to get a pond pump and large container for Chiller water, can't use hose when it's -1F.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
there should be a plate (damper) with holes over the end of the "funnel" (as your described it) that turns. You can control the amount of air flow there. It just pulls it in.
AHH HAAA!! yea - that is screwed down and I "thought" it was for that but again - the instructions were pretty poor!

thanks fly and Zym

Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

It might not look like it but this is just a larger version of the assblies (EDIT that would be "assemblies" to us engrish speakers ) you have in your propane grill. Where that hose attaches the slight vacuum created by the flow of gas going through will pull air in with it and by the time it comes out through the element the gas and air are mixed and fully combustible. You adjust the airflow as well as the gas to tune the flame. AFAIK, the bluer the flame the better.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Last edited by dontman; 01-05-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Yea got one of them for my clunker of a grill. My plan is to get a pond pump and large container for Chiller water, can't use hose when it's -1F.
Sure ya can! I do, though I am not too smart.

I run a hose out through the dog door from the utility sink. Just bring the hose in right away when done chilling. It cools down wicked fast! Yeah, the outdoor spigot don't work so hot though at those temps. Not to good for the plumbing either.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Quick Reply