Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The "stuff" at the bottom of the brewpot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
brewinginalabama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The "stuff" at the bottom of the brewpot

I did my first brew the other day, Honey Brown Amber Ale from Midwest Supp, and after cooling the wort, I poured it into the primary through a strainer to filter out the stuff at the bottom of the pot. Should I have let the "stuff" go into the primary fermenting bucket to "feed the yeast"? Fermentation is moving along nicely with the airlock bubbling often.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Some people filter it out, some people don't. It's not a problem to leave it in there. The yeast don't feed off it, though.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

fwiw, the crap at the bottom, (hot break, cold break, and mostly, hops) will be fine, and compact with the yeast cake, especially if you cold crash that bad boy before transferring.
i have done this with two of my last brews, and cannot be happier!

i only have whole hops right now so i use them as my filter bed in a strainer. works pretty well actually!

put colander over bucket. pour kettle contents through colander. hops build up in colander. act as filter.
dump all that crap down garbage disposal.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
brewinginalabama
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply.

Quint

Quick Reply