Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stuck stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
berk2027
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stuck stout

My stout is stuck at 1020 any idears how to get it goin again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Can you provide more information? What was your recipe? What was your OG? What yeast did you use? How much did you pitch? How long has it been stuck at 1.020? What temperature are you fermenting at? How long has it been in the fermenter?

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
berk2027
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercher
Can you provide more information? What was your recipe? What was your OG? What yeast did you use? How much did you pitch? How long has it been stuck at 1.020? What temperature are you fermenting at? How long has it been in the fermenter?
I've made a 5 gallon batch oatmeal stout and it fermented well and smells great the only problem it fermented well for two days and now the air lock don't bubble atall and cant really see any bubbles in the brew ether
I mixed a few recipes together. I used 1lb 4oz - oatmeal. 8oz - rye. 6oz - black malt ( whole ). 10oz - crystal malt ( crushed ). 12oz - chocolate malt ( crushed ). 75g - hops
1lb 1oz muntons spray malt extra dark. 4oz - chocolate powder.
2 tins of coopers liquid malt 1 dark 1 light
Any help please
I used 2 sachets of muntons gold dried yeast pitched Friday stopped Sunday and its OG was 1054 and Sunday was 1020 and that where it stayed

Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
berk2027
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

P

Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Sounds like primary fermentation is done. Abv is 4.46% which should be about right for your stout. Even though you didn't have a very high gravity wort to begin with, there were plenty of unfermentable dissolved solids in the wort. You might get a little more attenuation out of your yeast if you let it sit in the primary another week or two on the yeast, where it will clean up some. It's not likely you'll see much of a change.

For future reference, make sure you aerate the heck out of your wort and add yeast nutrients, especially on high gravity beers. That might get you a little better attenuation. Also, upgrade to a fresher yeast such as those produced by white labs, wyeast or make a 2 liter starter a day beforehand using your dried yeast. The yeast packets that come with beer kits and/or taped to cans of LME usually aren't the most viable. God knows how long they've been resting on a shelf somewhere.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
berk2027
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia
Sounds like primary fermentation is done. Abv is 4.46% which should be about right for your stout. Even though you didn't have a very high gravity wort to begin with, there were plenty of unfermentable dissolved solids in the wort. You might get a little more attenuation out of your yeast if you let it sit in the primary another week or two on the yeast, where it will clean up some. It's not likely you'll see much of a change.

For future reference, make sure you aerate the heck out of your wort and add yeast nutrients, especially on high gravity beers. That might get you a little better attenuation. Also, upgrade to a fresher yeast such as those produced by white labs, wyeast or make a 2 liter starter a day beforehand using your dried yeast. The yeast packets that come with beer kits and/or taped to cans of LME usually aren't the most viable. God knows how long they've been resting on a shelf somewhere.
I would love to use white labs yeast but I'm in the uk so it's expensive I'll get a better yeast next time and make a starter up next time cheers for help to

Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
berk2027
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just checked gravity again and it's 1018 so must still be fermenting

Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree that you have a lot of unfermentables in that recipe. You likely aren't going to get a lot lower -- maybe down to 1.014 or so. Give it time, however. I would leave your beer be for at least another week and a half.

If the cost of yeast is a problem for you, consider harvesting the yeast from this or a future batch. There is a very good thread on yeast washing here. You could then choose a White Labs or Wyeast product once, make batch (with a starter), then harvest enough yeast for multiple batches.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Quick Reply