Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stuck fermentation? what to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
Mishkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stuck fermentation? what to do?

I'm brewing a lager at about 50F (10C). My OG was 1.050 and its been about 11 days since it started fermenting and its been stuck on 1.023 for like 3 days now. I'm assuming its stuck. what should I do?

None
Bottled
None
Drinking
Nothing left to drink
Planned
European Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

well i've never brewed a lager, but its my understanding that 3 weeks in primary is normal. cooler temps = slower metabolizing of sugar by the yeast.

you might want to gently swirl the fermenter (no splashing) just to circulate the yeast a bit.
maybe triple check your thermometer in case its reading warmer than it really is.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Pugilist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Mishkin I am also doing my first lager and it has been in the lagerator fridge for about 12 days. The temp has been between 49-53F since then and there is a 2 inch layer of krausen on it. There is little to no bubbling activity in the airlock but from the TONS of reading I have been doing on the subject, that is common.

As stated at the cold temps for fermenting lager activity can be much slower than ale yeast. The rule of thumb appears to be 3 weeks MINIMUM for primary to be complete, maybe longer.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

yeah, I applaud you for taking consecutive gravity readings, but you're jumping the gun assuming it's stuck. Unless it's clearing already, it's just moving along slow and steady. With Ales, a gravity check every day tells the tale. With your lager, check it again in a week and see if it's still dropping. One day to the next just isn't enough time to see much of a change. did you taste the sample to check for diacetyl (buttery taste and texture)?

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Quick Reply