The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stuck fermentation?? Please help. Need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
scoundrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimmerman88 View Post
Mashed at 152, dropped 1 degree during 1hr.

Just seems odd. Oh well I guess I'll let it sit for a bit and see what happens.

Maybe I'll get a new thermometer to ensure I wasn't at 156 or 158 for some reason
Sorry, I confused you with the OP. Ya the ESB stopping at 1.030 does sound strange. I've used this trick a few times to drop the gravity a few points and it always seems to work. I would have expected it to drop further. Maybe it is the thermometer or just not enough healthy yeast to pull the gravity down. You could try your idea of siphoning up your yeast and making a starter or buying more yeast and making a starter.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 760

It need something, either it needs more bitterness to deal with the sweetness.

I'm really hoping that I can re-pitch and get some activity, but if it's unfermentable there isn't much I can do.

Untapped

Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think you would probably be better off just bottling/kegging as is, learning from your mistakes on this beer and making adjustments next time. Just my opinion of course. I prefer not to try messing with the beer after the yeast is pitched outside of dryhopping or other "normal" fermenter additions.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
jpmckay1981
Recipes 

Well, folks I tried re-pitching. There was some activity, but after it all settled down again, the gravity had not changed a bit. I bottled it, waited 2 weeks and it's Waaaaaayyyy too sweet. Oh, well. Chock it up to lessons learned.

Funny side note - my Dad said "It's still better than Bud Light".

Guess its all about perspective.

Thank you all for the advice.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #25
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan3825
I think you would probably be better off just bottling/kegging as is, learning from your mistakes on this beer and making adjustments next time. Just my opinion of course. I prefer not to try messing with the beer after the yeast is pitched outside of dryhopping or other "normal" fermenter additions.
Turns put my ESB isn't the only thing stuck, ,my IPA is also stuck at 1.028 from 1.070.

I think my thermo is most likely off and I mashed both high and ended with some unfermentables.

10 gallons later learned a tough one

Untapped

Quick Reply