Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stuck fermentation?? Please help. Need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
scoundrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's an option you can consider. It's worked for me. I get the temp to around 66-68 degrees, swirl the carboy and add about 4 ounces of sugar. The minor down side is it throws your gravities off slightly and may also thin the beer out a bit, but since its sweet and cloying, this helps.

Why will this help? Sugar is 100% fermentable where malt is not. Think of malt as the main course and sugar the dessert. Sugar is very easy for the yeast to eat, so while consuming the sugar, many times it revitalizes the fermentation and they eat some of the residual malt sugar. The beer dries out and everyone is happy

Now some people will say that sugar will cause a cidery taste. That's not the case unless you use alot. I used a pound in my last Trippel with no problems at all.

Like I said, I've done this many times and it works for me. Maybe it will for you too.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If he bottles the beer couldn't there be a risk of bombs too?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
jpmckay1981
Recipes 

If I go the sugar additive route do I still add priming sugar before bottling?

Would brown sugar work or does it need to be corn sugar?

Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
scoundrel
Recipes 

Yes you need to add priming sugar but you need to ensure the fermentation has completely stopped i.e. 3 days of steady gravity readings.

You can use brown sugar but it can contribute to flavor. Probably not much, but maybe that's ok. It's up to you. You can also use straight table sugar. It doesn't have to be corn.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
jpmckay1981
Recipes 

If I repitch do I need to rack off the old yeast cake first or just pitch it on top?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmckay1981 View Post
If I repitch do I need to rack off the old yeast cake first or just pitch it on top?
No, just pitch on top.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 785

I am in a similar situation....

I've got 2 current fermentations stuck at 1.030. Both have been there for over a week even after warming.

An IPA OG 1.070 & an ESB OG 1.054

Both went a week at 60, discovered they at stopped at 1.03, moved to about 68 or so.

Been considering a few things, would it be possible to pull some yeast off the cake via siphon, make a starter, and repitch a small starter to try and jump start it ?

Untapped

Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #18
atimmerman88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
Here's an option you can consider. It's worked for me. I get the temp to around 66-68 degrees, swirl the carboy and add about 4 ounces of sugar. The minor down side is it throws your gravities off slightly and may also thin the beer out a bit, but since its sweet and cloying, this helps.

Why will this help? Sugar is 100% fermentable where malt is not. Think of malt as the main course and sugar the dessert. Sugar is very easy for the yeast to eat, so while consuming the sugar, many times it revitalizes the fermentation and they eat some of the residual malt sugar. The beer dries out and everyone is happy

Now some people will say that sugar will cause a cidery taste. That's not the case unless you use alot. I used a pound in my last Trippel with no problems at all.

Like I said, I've done this many times and it works for me. Maybe it will for you too.
I gave this a bash, boiled and tossed in 2oz of table sugar.

Fermentation started back up for 12hrs or so, I was confident I had the yeasties rolling again.

Checked up on the gravity a few days later to find it had stopped back were it was before 1.03 still too sweet for an ESB in my book.

Can't but my finger on what's up.

Untapped

Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #19
scoundrel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimmerman88 View Post
I gave this a bash, boiled and tossed in 2oz of table sugar.

Fermentation started back up for 12hrs or so, I was confident I had the yeasties rolling again.

Checked up on the gravity a few days later to find it had stopped back were it was before 1.03 still too sweet for an ESB in my book.

Can't but my finger on what's up.
Well if that's the case than the only thing I can think is that the leftover residual sweetness is unfermentable.

One of the advantages of all grain is that your mash temp can dictate the fermentable sugars. Higher mash temps create long chain dextrins that are not edible by yeast. With extract, you're at the mercy of the maltster who made the extract. The fact that it went back to 1.030, leads me to believe the leftover sugar cannot be consumed by the yeast.

Going forward, you may want to try a different supplier just to see if there's a difference. When I was brewing extract, I did like Northern Brewer quite a bit.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
atimmerman88
Recipes 

Mashed at 152, dropped 1 degree during 1hr.

Just seems odd. Oh well I guess I'll let it sit for a bit and see what happens.

Maybe I'll get a new thermometer to ensure I wasn't at 156 or 158 for some reason

Untapped

Quick Reply