Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stuck Fermentation or impatient brewer??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
palehorse24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stuck Fermentation or impatient brewer??

Hey everyone,

Just had a quick question concerning my 1st brew. While I have read in my "Joy of Homebrewing" book to "relax", I wanted to make sure I don't screw up this first brew.
I am brewing a Vanilla Hefeweizen (from a kit at homebrewheaven.com). It has been in the primary for 6 days now and is bubbling roughly every 1 to 1.5 minutes. The problem that I have is that the krauesen has not fallen yet. The fermentation was pretty aggressive for about 48-72 hours and has gradually slowed to its current point. There is a good amount (2" or so of trub settled out. The wort temp is 71 degrees and I used the Wyeast 368 liquid yeast packet. The SG was 1.056 and I am afraid to open the bucket to take a gravity reading, because it may either contaminate the wort or cause some of the krauesen to mix in with the beer. I read that the krauesen causes off flavors, so I don't want to do this if I can keep from it, but I'm kinda at a loss. So what do I do, wait a while longer to see if it falls, or use my racking cane to take a gravity reading?? Thanks in advance for the help.

PH24

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't worry about it now. Open up and take a reading using sanatized utensils.
Any krausen will go to the bottom anyway and won't affect your brew anymore than it would if it fell naturally.
I assume you will be racking to secondary?

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 03-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
palehorse24
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Don't worry about it now. Open up and take a reading using sanatized utensils.
Any krausen will go to the bottom anyway and won't affect your brew anymore than it would if it fell naturally.
I assume you will be racking to secondary?
Yes, I will be racking to secondary because that is when I add the vanilla bean. The only thing that I am worried about is it clearing too much. I would really like the traditional hefe cloudiness.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There'll be enough yeast for you to swirl when you pour into your serving glass to cloud up your beer.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 03-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Sounds like a normal fermentation for a top-cropping Hefe yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-05-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
palehorse24
Recipes 

Well, I took the great advice on here and took a gravity reading. It was about 1.013, so I guess it is pretty much done. I transferred it to the secondary yesterday (Saturday) and added the vanilla bean. I sliced the vanilla bean in half and rolled it with a rolling pin before putting it in the secondary. Now how long should I wait before kegging to get a good vanilla flavor? The airlock rose yesterday and bubbled a few times, but now the airlock has settled all the way down, so I don't want to leave it too long and have the beer oxidize. Any advice??

Quick Reply